PDA

View Full Version : Back at square one

bugalugs67
05-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Machine won’t boot up. I can get into the Bios but not understanding too much of that, the only thing I can see that may be suspect is:

Boot device Priority is
1st [CDROM:SM-PIONEER D]
2nd [Hard Drive]
3rd {1st FLOPPY DRIVE] (but there isn’t one installed)

And if I enter ASUSTeK EZ Flash 2 Bios ROM Utuility V3.24 under Path it shows A:\ (nothing)
C: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-215 Type CDROM
Has it got the Drive identifiers mixed up? Or am I barking up the wrong tree and this has nothing to do with it?

Getting out of the Bios it asks “Reboot and Select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key” Of course creating a boot disk is one of those things that I haven’t got to --- yet

So, where to from here???

If I insert the original Vista disk can I reinstall Vista? Will it overwrite the installed files? If it installs will it then try to get all the updated SP1 etc?

The machine seems to be locked up doing something as the Hard Drive light is on all the time.

What can I do to recover:crying

Speedy Gonzales
05-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Change the boot priority to 2nd - hdd if you want to boot from it (If its got Vista on it now), then save the settings then reboot

ASUSTeK EZ Flash 2 Bios ROM is to flash the BIOS, not to boot from anything

It will format the hdd then reinstall Vista, if you boot from the Vista cd. So, yup say byebye to everything if you do this

If you have anything external or something like a card reader, with a memory card in it, remove it

If the hdd is SATA or IDE, does the BIOS detect it??

Also, if the hdd is SATA (and the BIOS doesnt detect it), open the case and check the data and power cable going to it

bugalugs67
06-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Changing boot priority didn't change anything. Same result

hdd is Seagate7200.11 500GB SATA2 but BIOS doesn't detect it. (except for SATA 2 which is DVD-RW, SATA 1 to 6 'not detected') However hdd light is on which would indicate it is running. Cables/connections all secure.

Initial problem was caused when it locked up doing a System Restore. On the restart it only went as far as the coloured lights running across the screen. Subsequent restarts got worse-n-worse.

I'm screwed aren't I??

Blam
06-03-2009, 10:54 AM
The hard drive sounds like one of the models with affected firmware,

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931

Follow instrcutions to fix it

bugalugs67
06-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Worth a try and the symptoms sounded like it but no the numbers didn't check out.

Bother

wainuitech
06-03-2009, 12:27 PM
but no the numbers didn't check out Since you need a working PC to check those numbers - did you actually physically look at the numbers on the HDD ?? You still need a working PC to make the bootable CD to upgrade the firmware on the HDD if it does need it.

If you did and yours is not one of the affected drives - put in the Vista DVD and try to do a start up repair.

Full instructions along with pictures On this site (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial148.html)

bugalugs67
08-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the link. Have tried running the Vista disk but when it gets through to the System Recovery Option screen it offers no program to recover. Stepping through to the Startup Repair, one of the ‘Problem Details’ is “Problem Signature 06…… NoHardDrive” yet the operating light on the HDD is ‘on’ all the time indicating it is there, and running.

Have tried to start with the HDD data and, then the power cables unplugged. Have also tried the data cable from a different SATA outlet. No joy.

I think that establishes that either the BIOS is corrupted or the HDD has put on its cloak of invisibility.

Tried using Sea Tools and Data Recovery file (from Partition@ Recovery) but wouldn’t boot from either.

Working back to when the failure occurred I think a power outage during System restore is the most likely cause and the hdd can’t get out of a loop.

After all that, what else can I do or am I just trying to push it uphill with a rake.

Blam
08-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Hard drive is probably failed.

If its still under warranty take it back.

WT/Speedy may know another method to get the data back.

Have you tried another PSU....?

Agent_24
08-03-2009, 01:24 PM
The Seagate 7200.11 500GB drives are one of the ones affected by the firmware problem.

It may well be that your drive has failed (actually, they go into "safe mode" to prevent your data being lost and requires special tools to bring it back)

What is your specific drive model number?

wainuitech
08-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Try booting the PC from a Linux live CD, look and see if it will see the drive and its contents.

IF it does, you may be able to recover the data, but
a power outage during System restore is the most likely cause Thats the worst possible time to have an outage - hence why you should have a UPS- the data is more than likely gotten all screwed up, hence it cant go forward or backwards. One possible reason the HDD lights on is its probably trying to load but its stuck.

Then as Blam mentioned if the drives failed (same effect HDD light on) then get it replaced under warranty , Thats if its still in warranty - but all data may be lost.

There are possible ways to repair this if its only data corruption, but see if the drive can be read from a Linux CD first.

Blam
08-03-2009, 01:50 PM
WT-Is it actually possible for the bios not to see it but for a linux live cd to see it?

How does that work?:p

wainuitech
08-03-2009, 02:31 PM
It is Possible - the BIOS basically in simple non tech terms -starts the PC and tells every thing how to start, what to run etc Basic Input output System.

If the BIOS is told not to read the HDD or the HDD is disabled then it wont work.

Resetting the BIOS back to default, and this is done by Jumpers on some Boards OR / And by entering the BIOS on start up, and selecting a certain key,Then allows everything to work (or should). Once the BIOS is reset, then a person goes back in and make sure the First boot device is the optical drive, if the linux CD see's the drive thats good, generally if the drive is stuffed, even Linux wont see it.

Blam
08-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Cheers. Get it now:thumbs:

Good 'ol linux