PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu on a CD

nzchrise
05-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Hi all

I am curious about linux so I downloaded the ubuntu-8.10-desktop.iso file, checked its check sum, then burnt the image to cd. I don't really wish to install it at the moment on my windows xp desktop machine but would like to run it from the cd.

And that's the problem. I reboot with the cd, select english language, the cd spins and the ubuntu horizontal orange bar goes back and forth. Thats cool. And then after a minute or two the cd stops spinning and the whole thing freezes. It has done this now with two different image burns, it just stops dead.

Any ideas as to why this may be happening and possible solutions?

TIA
Chris

Blam
05-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Did you download with a download manager?
Sometimes that can corrupt files.

And did you try lowering the burn speed to around 2x or 4x?

Also, ubuntu runs incredibly slow from a cd, I suggest you insert the cd while in windows, and install ubuntu using WUBI.

You install it as if it is a program, and you don't need to configure anything. Everything is full speed, but I think you cannot hibernate.

Once you feel you want to remove it or install it as a dual boot, just uninstall it in add/remove as a normal program.

Blam

Also try booting without the spash screen, when you are at the main menu press F6 and change the word splash to nosplash

Poppa John
05-03-2009, 09:02 PM
If it is anyhelp to you, you can get an original CD direct from Ubuntu by snailmail.

visit...shipit.ubuntu.com.

PJ

memphis
05-03-2009, 09:51 PM
You can get it from DSE on dvd.:thumbs:

Some computer magazines sometimes have it as well on their dvd's.Check out Linux magazine's they have Linux Distro's on their dvd's as well.:thumbs:

GameJunkie
05-03-2009, 10:04 PM
ubuntu has worked extremely well for me inside virtualbox

pkm
05-03-2009, 11:49 PM
Ive treid a few distros, both older and newer. I preferred overall the older ones that stuck with retro command line installations - not the newer fancy load a live full GUI to install - on different hardware,more problems,wierd hangs.

memphis
05-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Ive treid a few distros, both older and newer. I preferred overall the older ones that stuck with retro command line installations - not the newer fancy load a live full GUI to install - on different hardware,more problems,wierd hangs.

Which distros did you have problems with?

autechre
06-03-2009, 10:18 AM
It could just be a hardware compatibility problem or a hardware fault. I know I tried Ubuntu on one PC & it did something similar.
On my new PC though, it worked ok.

You could try running a memtest to see if that picks up anything wrong.

nzchrise
06-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the replies

I have ordered the free distro cd but i suspect I will have the same problem.. running the OS from a CD will be s l o w. I'll try again using F6 and nosplash.

Otherwise, as blam6 suggested, I might install Ubuntu using the Wubi installer.

Cheers
Chris

Bantu
06-03-2009, 11:51 AM
I tried various distro's many years ago. A steep learning curve back then but maybe the modern ones are a bit better.

I purchased RedHat at one stage and it shipped over from USA with a fancy box and manual such as it was. Also tried Slackware, FreeBSD, Debian and Mandrake. Not messed about with any now for about 7-8 years or so.

nzchrise
06-03-2009, 04:51 PM
I got it to run from CD. I used the tip to press F6 and change splash to noslash, it loaded up fine, it even ran relatively quickly considering it's on CD.

Something to play with now... I may even use Wubi to install it.

Thanks for the various ideas.

Cheers
Chris