PDA

View Full Version : Another Word 2007 annoyance!!

ecurb
05-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Do other people have this? I'm happily typing in one font and then do a double return and everthing I've typed in that paragraph changes to a different font and style.

Its all very well if all lines of text are below each other but if you want to leave a blank line (like above) then you have to do a double space... and its ##***+## annoying when the font suddenly changes. If I hit backspace the font changes back but thats not really the answer.

If I hit the enter key twice very slowly its OK but if I hit it twice quickly thats when the problem shows up.

I'm sure its a setting that needs changing somewhere but I'm not sure where. I've googled and looked at the microsoft site but couldn't find a similar problem

Thanks in advance for your help

Blam
05-03-2009, 05:59 PM
Try running office diagnostics

Office button>Word Options>Resources>Diagnose

Also try installing Office SP1 and see if that fixes it

If that fails, in Add/Remove Programs select repair for Office 07

somebody
05-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Do other people have this? I'm happily typing in one font and then do a double return and everthing I've typed in that paragraph changes to a different font and style.

Its all very well if all lines of text are below each other but if you want to leave a blank line (like above) then you have to do a double space... and its ##***+## annoying when the font suddenly changes. If I hit backspace the font changes back but thats not really the answer.

If I hit the enter key twice very slowly its OK but if I hit it twice quickly thats when the problem shows up.

I'm sure its a setting that needs changing somewhere but I'm not sure where. I've googled and looked at the microsoft site but couldn't find a similar problem

Thanks in advance for your help

This sounds like it's a problem with a style definition, and what the "Next paragraph" setting is set to. What style are you using (i.e. "Normal", or "No Spacing" or whatever)?

ecurb
05-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Blam6 - I'll try those options if a setting isn't the answer

Somebody - I'm using 'normal' and when it changes it goes to 'heading1'. What is the "next paragraph" setting?

wainuitech
05-03-2009, 08:30 PM
make sure the styles in the settings have not changed. From the Normal Style, right click it, Modify make sure the settings are As Default (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Style.jpg)

somebody
05-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Blam6 - I'll try those options if a setting isn't the answer

Somebody - I'm using 'normal' and when it changes it goes to 'heading1'. What is the "next paragraph" setting?

Sorry - I meant "Style for following paragraph" as shown in wainuitech's screenshot.

Ofthesea
05-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Word does some crazy things, they're all features but mostly we don't need them. - See yesterdays post about "Word 2000 doing funny things"
If your feature is appearing in new documents you may need to change a format setting in the template file "normal.dot".
A quick fix may be to use "soft" paragraphs I think it is called, where you use SHIFT + ENTER to get a new line in the same paragraph then just ENTER as usual to get a new paragraph - I presume this would solve the immediate problem

ecurb
06-03-2009, 11:04 AM
I tried all the answers above and none worked except for the diagnostics. Diagnostics didn't say it found any errors but the problem has gone.

Thanks Blam6 :o)

Bantu
06-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Word 2007/Office 2007 is an annoyance in it's own right.
I went back to Office 2003 but had to add the converters for 2007 as my daughter uses 2007 at school and brings home 2007 based files.

I personally hope the next version comes back to some of the menu based interface that Word in particular has had since it was originally conceived. Access 2007 was a nightmare, so many things so different to the previous versions.

wainuitech
06-03-2009, 12:49 PM
I personally hope the next version comes back to some of the menu based interface that Word in particular has had since it was originally conceived. Access 2007 was a nightmare, so many things so different to the previous versions.
If someone doesn't like the office 2007 ribbon, there is an addin that will turn it back to look like office 03 - its not free, but there is a trial if you want to see if it works for you. You can download it From here (http://www.addintools.com/english/menuoffice/). Just tried it on one of the workshop PC's with office 07 - works like they say it does. Screen shots on the right of that site or you can get add ins for only the apps you want.

Bantu
06-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Tried that WT it still does not bring it back to a 2003 look alike. The ribbon adds some things back but not all.

wainuitech
06-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Tried that WT it still does not bring it back to a 2003 look alike. The ribbon adds some things back but not all. So whats missing ??

I tried it and all the normal every day functions I use are there and work perfectly. But then again I'd rather use 07 - its a LOT easier and faster once you get used to where everything is

I doubt MS are going to revert back to old looks.

The problem is to many people want to stay stuck in the past and are not willing to learn new functions.

Bantu
06-03-2009, 05:55 PM
I don't have 2007 on any of the computers here to answer that one again now WT.
I did try it a few months back though and it was not good enough to impress me to keeping 2007 on the computers.

Blam
08-03-2009, 03:43 PM
For anyone interested, there is a free alternative that works identical to this:

http://www.addintools.com/english/menuoffice/

You can get the free, fully functional version here

http://www.ubit.ch/software/ubitmenu-languages/

Works identically