PDA

View Full Version : IE - time limit on downloads?

Scouse
05-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Hi Folks. Friend tells me that when he bought his machine some years ago the vendor set a limit on the length of time allowed for downloads using IE. He recently tried to download some version/update for Nortons and it exceeded 40 minutes (dial up) and timed out. I am not familiar with such a time limit and cannot help him to delete or extend the limit. Can anyone here. Thanks. :rolleyes:

Speedy Gonzales
05-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Its probably a group policy if its XP Pro

Or go back to the vendor, tell him to fix it

This may help if its XP Pro (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457144.aspx)

Trev
05-03-2009, 04:03 PM
In IE go Tools/Internet Options/Connections and under the settings button there maybe a setting there. I'm on broadband and that button is blanked out, so can't check.
:)

wainuitech
05-03-2009, 04:08 PM
it could be the disconnect after so many minutes of in activity - even when downloading Windows doesn't count it as Activity.

Going from memory here, ( as trev located) In IE go Tools/Internet Options/Connections , select your account, on the right, click settings, there will be two buttons , I Think its under advanced ( if not try the other one) there will be a setting that says disconnect after X number of minutes, untick that.

Scouse
05-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Thank you for your time folks. I too am on broadband (on a Vista box) and the "idle time etc" is not available. However, prompted by your comments I cranked up an older box with XP which, in its previous life, was connected by dial up. I was able to follow Wainui's tracks and view the old "idle time" on that box. Much appreciated. Just need to contact friend and check his settings. Thanks again. :p

Speedy Gonzales
05-03-2009, 06:11 PM
It only applies to dialup, not broadband