PDA

View Full Version : Which antivirus / firewall?

Sam Bos
05-03-2009, 12:07 PM
hey guys I know this has been asked a million times before, but I would like to know which antivirus / firewall / any other pc protection programs you prefer/recommend

I'm planning on buying myself a new laptop this weekend, it will have Vista Home Premium on it.

I'd really prefer just to use free programs, but if its a paid one please feel free to tell me about it anyway.

On our family computer we just run AVG for antivirus, turned off AVG firewall and use Comodo.

I like Comodo Firewall its easy to use and seems to do the job well. AVG on the other hand well I used to find it ok but it just seems like crap slips past it and I only find out about it if something goes wrong or if i do a Virus Scan. and then all I can do is move it to the Virus Vault, most times it won't let me click Heal or fix.

I've seen a lot of people on here mention Avast, this is another free one ae? How do people find that compared to AVG?

For other stuff I use HJT, I had Trojan Remover but i think it was a trial or something, and CCleaner but I havent figured out how to use it properly. All 3 along with Comodo were recommended to me by Speedy Gonzales (cheers Speedy :thumbs: )

so any recommendations etc is much appreciated

Sam

Speedy Gonzales
05-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Get rid of AVG and install Avast Home.

I've never used AVG, but reading all the probs on Google about it, I dont think I'll ever it

Ccleaner only cleans / removes tempfiles / cookies etc.

Its not an anti malware program of any sort

Blam
05-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Stick with AVG or use Avast!

You might also want 2 antispyware utilities, i.,e Spyware Terminator and Spbot S&D
Or SuperAntiSpyware

Also do an occasional scan with Malware Bytes Anti-Malware

You can uninstall trojan remover, you won't need it

Blam

prefect
05-03-2009, 01:20 PM
AVG good. Avast has issues.

Speedy Gonzales
05-03-2009, 01:28 PM

Only issue I've seen with Avast, is it crashes NitroPDF. BUT thats easy to fix.

At least it updates properly

Laura
05-03-2009, 01:42 PM

My experience with those (both free versions) has been exactly the opposite.
That's why I dumped AVG for avast!
I find it simple & effective.

Sam Bos
05-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Only issue I've seen with Avast, is it crashes NitroPDF. BUT thats easy to fix.

At least it updates properly

never heard of nitroPDF before so i guess i'll be fine ;)

yes i forgot to mention, i've had tons of problems updating AVG - sometimes it just doesnt want to connect to the server. other times it crashes during downloading updates. and i never get notified of updates anymore - ever since i downloaded the latest version of AVG. we used to use PCcillin (had far too many issues with that too..) but one good thing about it that AVG doesnt have is the fact that if there's a new virus making its way around it'll tell you and usually provide a update/fix for it (as long as the people at PCcillin HQ know about it of course).

wratterus
05-03-2009, 03:52 PM

Say what? Other way around normally, what issues have you had with Avast?

beeswax34
05-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Say what? Other way around normally, what issues have you had with Avast?

Apparently he installed it or tried to and it screwed up so bad that he had to re-install Windows! Insanity but that's what he says.

autechre
06-03-2009, 09:15 AM
If you don't like AVG or Avast, get Avira AntiVir (http://www.free-av.com/) :)

Doesn't scan email though, but since I use webmail it's a feature I don't need.

Speedy Gonzales
06-03-2009, 09:19 AM
Yup people probably dont know what NitroPDF is.

Obviously its for PDF files / similar to Adobe Reader Pro.

It lets you open and edit / create PDF files as well.

I know its an issue with Avast and NitroPDF. Because no other AV program clashes with it (NOD didnt)

Avast crashes it everytime you reboot. Unless you go into program settings (in Avast / troubleshooting), and tick the 2nd option.

Then its fine