PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu workgroup

kjaada
28-02-2009, 07:14 AM
I had an intrusion from outside on my wireless workgroup network before I got it secured.How can I now remove the icon for the rogue pc from my workgroup.
"move to trash" says permission denied.
What would the command lines be

Myth
28-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Have you tried rebooting the computer?

I have been asking around, and apparently the master within a network will only see those currently connected nodes/computers

One assumes that your computer is the master within the network

kjaada
28-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks 4 that.
I now have to assume the intruder is still getting in.
I tried setting up WEP but evidently I got it wrong and all sorts went wrong.How can I make our network secure without too much technical stuff.We have 2 Ubuntu PCs and one Windows XP.One Ubuntu box is wired and the other 2 are wireless.My present fix is to turn the router off when we are not doing online things.

wainuitech
28-02-2009, 11:18 AM
If you set up or change the security on the router - you have to disconnect the current PC's then reconnect again ( wireless) - this time you will be prompted for a password to connect to the router - the one you set in the security. The router is what has the security - the PC's are simply connecting to that and the password is the " permission" to connect.

The wired ones you dont need to do anything with.

This means that if it were an unsecured / open connection, who ever was getting in will now be asked for that password as well.

If they simply used your connection because it was easy to get in unsecured they will move on - if they have some knowledge and are hell bent on still getting in, they would have to know how to crack the password.

kjaada
28-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks.That is the answer I have been looking 4.