PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious Data Usage on Xnet

Lizard
26-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Hi all,

I noticed via the Xnet Usage Meter widget I have downloaded that my data usage spiked on Monday night, to the tune of about 4GB. I don't recall downloading anything of that magnitude. The only culprits I can think of are Automatic Updates, which turned up for installation on Wednesday night (meaning they would have been downloading prior), or somehow someone is stealing bandwidth from my wireless router.

I can't believe that an automatic update from MS would be so big - twice the size of Windows 7 Beta. And I doubt that my wireless router is to blame. I'm pretty sure the router is secured, but my knowledge is limited. It's a Linksys WAG54P, and when I set up the wireless for my iPod touch, I had to enter a huge string of characters to get the Touch to connect to the router. I'm guessing this is an encryption key, and I can't see how anyone could just idly cruise by the house and pinch data without that key.

Any other possibilities I'm missing here? Or is it just Xnet mucking up the billing?

BTW - Adaware and Spybot don't detect any malware, so I'm guessing there's nothing going out that way. And I haven't used any bittorrent programs for about 4 weeks.

Edit - one other possibility occurs. I use a free program called SyncBack to backup files to an external HDD. Maybe (though it shouldn't be), it's backing up files online? But where? I've never told it to.

bob_doe_nz
26-02-2009, 06:28 PM
I thought all Windows updates (or stuff from MS) were free on your Xnet account.

Nomad
26-02-2009, 07:04 PM
If you download stuff that is free data like gamespot.co.nz and the like if there are others. That is not included in your usage. However if you set yourself a GB limit before it slows to dial up speed, once you cross that mark, all those GBs and Gbs you downloaded that was free will be added in and spiked up.

Speedy Gonzales
26-02-2009, 09:27 PM
I wouldnt trust the monitor, its crap. At the mo, its an hr and 20 mins behind

I asked Xnet 1 day, do you go by that. They said no lol

What the hell is the point of it, telling you the data and cost then (that was my question), which they couldnt answer

What? No free means free, whether you go over the GB or not. It doesnt say on the Xnet site you pay, if you go over your limit

If you dont know whats using your data, ring Xnet and find out

beeswax34
26-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Was it international or local traffic that spiked?

Chilling_Silence
26-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Ring them and complain directly if ever it happens. Its happened to me twice, both times they've said "Oh we had other people also say the same thing about that time / date, we'll refund it".

I know it was them because I keep a pretty watchful eye on things on this network. One time I believe I was redoing wireless so the family had no internet at all that day, yet it said we did over 4GB so I rang up - not a very happy chappy, and got my whole months data usage Zero'd :)

pctek
27-02-2009, 07:56 AM
And I haven't used any bittorrent programs for about 4 weeks.

But is uploading enabled? Because it could be others getting files from you.

pkm
05-03-2009, 11:20 PM
and I can't see how anyone could just idly cruise by the house and pinch data without that key.
I prefer wires.

WPA or WEP?

Hint: youtube "crack wep ten minutes"

Then go turn on WPA2 if possible.

Strange regarding the counters - Ive found Vodafone/ihugs to be close enough to not worry.