PDA

View Full Version : Office 2007 - all options/buttons greyed out

GeneralKanos
23-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Hi guys, long time no see.

Ok so I am starting back at uni on mon and I wanted to edit a word file and I opened word as per normal, only to find that after about a sec all the buttons on the ribbon grey out (cant click on anything) and cant type.

I tried all of the other Office apps but to no avail, I had the same prob.

Any ideas to try guys?

Speedy Gonzales
23-02-2009, 12:14 AM
This sound like your prob ? (http://www.excelforum.com/excel-general/667194-how-to-activate-greyed-out-ribbon-items.html)

Or did someone do this ? (http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3715805.php)

GeneralKanos
23-02-2009, 01:25 AM
Nah a bit different.
ALL of my buttons and options are greyed out, not just some.
And i havent really used Office lately to think that I played with it somehow...

:(

the_bogan
23-02-2009, 06:42 AM
What happens when you hit Alt F11?

wainuitech
23-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Do you have a full paid license code installed ?

The way you describe it, thats the same thing that happens after the 60 day trial period of Office 2007 Ends - it allows you to open documents and read them, but you cant do anything with them.

JJJJJ
23-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Hi guys, long time no see.

Ok so I am starting back at uni on mon and I wanted to edit a word file and I opened word as per normal, only to find that after about a sec all the buttons on the ribbon grey out (cant click on anything) and cant type.

I tried all of the other Office apps but to no avail, I had the same prob.

Any ideas to try guys?

Perhaps it's trying to tell you it's time to pay for it.

GeneralKanos
23-02-2009, 01:19 PM
hmm
I did have some trouble activating it, I wonder if it failed to activate.
Ill try re-activating and try reinstalling it.
Is there a way to tell if it is not activated an on the 60day trial? so I don't have to wait 60 days to see if it worked....

Sweep
23-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Word

Click the Microsoft Office Button http://office.microsoft.com/global/images/default.aspx?AssetID=ZA100771021033, and then click Word Options.
Click Resources, and then click Activate.

GeneralKanos
25-02-2009, 12:40 AM
Ok well I tried clicking on the activate button and it makes the mouse an hourglass for a sec but nothing happens.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but it says that an important file is corrupted or not available.

I renamed the office folder in ProgramFiles and tried to get it to install again but the same problem.

Blam
25-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Rename the office folder back to normal, run Revo uninstaller, and it'll delete all leftover M$ office files. Run CCleaner's reg option also.

Then, install office 07 again and activate when installing

CYaBro
25-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Well I just had the same problem!
Was in Excel editing a spreadsheet, clicked to a website to check something and when I clicked back into Excel all options were greyed out.
I just left it for a few minutes though and came back and it had sorted itself out.
Doesn't help you sorry, just weird that I had a similar prob and have never seen it before (been using Office 2007 since it came out)

wainuitech
25-02-2009, 12:04 PM
What "may have done it" ( this is for CYaBro mainly) MS in their updates have pushed out a genuine advantage for Office , called Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) - similar to the one that checks the product key is legit in the OS - what it "may" have been doing is checking to see if the Software is legal, and in the process blanked out the buttons.

GeneralKanos
25-02-2009, 02:39 PM
I looked back thru my update history and I cant see OGA (I have heard of that tho I haven't seen it).
And I know that I cant click on the activate button so maybe its trying to validate/activate but it cant so its frozen.
Ive uninstalled with Revo and used its reg cleaner but as I said before, I opened word and it was still grayed out.

:(

wainuitech
25-02-2009, 03:34 PM
uninstalling it wont actually fully remove it.

Try downloading and running windows Cleanup Utility (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301). Open it and look for Office 2007 - just be careful what you uninstall as it's very powerful.

The next trick is finding it - I cant see what OS you are using - in Vista, once installed, click the start Orb, type in Install It will show in the list of results - if using XP - from memory it is listed in the All programs.

Once fully removed, reboot - try installing Office 07 again.