PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Photoshop Elements 7

Suzanne
22-02-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm looking for a good photo editing software and heard good things about adobe photoshop elements 7. So I downloaded the free 30 day trial. I found that it took forever for a photo to open in the program...compared to my old software I used. I was wondering if this was just because it was the free version and if once I buy the software this problem will improve?

I use it for work...so I don't want to spend the money if this issue isen't better because it uses up too much of my time and I'm constantly working with numerous images.

Thanks
Suzanne

Blam
22-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Probably not, your PC might not be fast enough

Try Using Picasa, InfranView, or GIMP instead

Sweep
22-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Suzanne. What are your computer specifications?
Welcome to PressF1.

Blam6.
It is Irfanview rather than Infranview.

Blam
22-02-2009, 07:58 PM
lol I made that error last time I posted that program.....doh!:p

autechre
23-02-2009, 08:44 AM
Elements is a very good program for editing photos. It runs fine on my PC which is a dual core, but not top of the line. It does require a lot of memory though if working with multiple photos, 2GB just doesn't cut it :)

Suzanne
25-02-2009, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. My computer is brand new. HP pavilion dv5 notebook PC, intel core 2 duo CPU processor, 4GB, 64 bit operating system with vista. I have tons of room. I'm not a gamer and just use it for work.

Sweep
25-02-2009, 07:56 AM
You can get a free trial of Corel X2 from here:-
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/gb/en/Product/1184951547051#versionTabview=tab0&tabview=tab0

It is what I use under Vista X64.

autechre
25-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. My computer is brand new. HP pavilion dv5 notebook PC, intel core 2 duo CPU processor, 4GB, 64 bit operating system with vista. I have tons of room. I'm not a gamer and just use it for work.

That should run Elements just fine. It should only take a few seconds to open a photo. The RAW files from my camera that i've taken so far are around 15-20MB and open in a second or 2. If i'm trying to open more than 1 at once though it can slow down a little.

Suzanne
25-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Yeah, I have no idea why it takes so long. I have only tried to open one photo at a time and it takes like around a minute for each to open...which takes forever when working with a lot of different photos. And these are images that have already been minimized.

Blam
25-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Prob cause you're running vista:p

Post a HijackThis log here and see if we can remove seom crap:p

Misty
25-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I have no idea why it takes so long. I have only tried to open one photo at a time and it takes like around a minute for each to open...which takes forever when working with a lot of different photos. And these are images that have already been minimized.
Seems incredibly slow and I don't think for a minute that it's the program. I have Elements 6 (marvellous !) and sometimes find things a wee bit slow - but nothing like that !! :eek:
Misty

Suzanne
26-02-2009, 03:06 AM
I don't know what it could be but the comp is new and everything else works at lightning speed. I'm not too fond of vista though.

Misty
26-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Hi Suzanne
This is what I have -

1.67 gigahertz Intel Core Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Just did some tests re time taken for various things
To load Elements 6 program -- 15 secs
To load the Organiser part -- 45 secs
To select and load a recent image --- 2 secs
To select and load a six month old image -- 2 secs

I am getting a bit better with using the organiser because when I download images from the camera then Elements choses (like other programs) to put them in a date folder. I used to often then rename the folder in Explorer and then Elements takes a while to find the image because it is looking for the old folder. Can we discount that this is your problem ?
Misty :)

Misty
26-02-2009, 09:06 AM
I am learning re Elements myself, so this is a work in progress.
Just been looking at a site where the author says

Tip 3: Reclaim Your System Resources

The biggest cause of slowness in Elements 3 is in the two services that Elements installs as part of the program. (Services are little programs that run constantly in the background whenever your computer is on.) If you are willing to give up automatic photo downloading, you can make Elements a lot zippier by turning these off. If you've noticed that your CPU usage has been spiking up to 100 percent since you installed Elements, even when it's not open, these are the usual culprits.
Now, right away you will see she is talking about Elements 3. Nevetheless, the same principles probably apply. May be worth testing.

Here is the link
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/digitalmedia/2005/03/30/PE3forWindows.html

Misty :2cents: