PDA

View Full Version : Vista downgrade rights

nofam
19-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Here's the situation:

I purchased an R61 Thinkpad as my work PC, and as per corporate policy, head office removed the OEM Vista Business install, and replaced it with XP Pro. When they removed the Vista install, they also removed the recovery partition.

I need to do a rebuild, but don't have the recovery media. Ideally, I'd actually like to dual-boot Vista & XP, but not sure if the OEM license covers this?

Does having Vista (any or all version?) give you downgrade rights to XP? And do Vista keys successfully activate XP? The Vista key on the laptops' CoA is different to the one used to activate XP.

Speedy Gonzales
19-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Why not. I cant see any probs if you go back to XP.

Its your computer, you can put anything you like on it

You just have to make sure there are drivers for XP (probably why Vista was on it, in the first place)

Dont think Vista keys work on XP, or vice-versa

I would say you would have to wipe Vista anyway (If you wanted to dual boot), since XP would have to be installed first

Whoever should have created the recovery cd's/dvd first. Too late now, theyre gone

jwil1
19-02-2009, 10:21 AM
I *think* corporate XP licenses license you to downgrade or upgrade the OS - but you need a OEM license on the computer first.

So from what i can see you can't legally dualboot :(

wainuitech
19-02-2009, 10:22 AM
Downgrades of Vista---> XP are usually with Business edition or above.

Once you downgrade to XP legally you cant have Vista as well.
Microsoft's end-user licensing agreement (EULA), you can't have both the Vista and its downgraded XP installed at the same time on the same or different machines. You have to pick: It's one or the other.

Microsofts Downgrade Rights can be read in This PDF (http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/f/4/5f4c83d3-833e-4f11-8cbd-699b0c164182/royaltyoemreferencesheet.pdf).

razzarphenix
19-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Downgrades of Vista---> XP are usually with Business edition or above.

Once you downgrade to XP legally you cant have Vista as well.
[/URL].

To clarify that a little you cant have both simultaneously. Downgrading to XP doesn't terminate your right to use that license for vista at a later date when you dont want XP anymore.

Gobe1
19-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Yep Vista key doesnt work on a xp install, ive tried it even tho reseller said it does
I cant see why you couldnt have a dual boot, they wouldnt be able to tell as they are separate and the vista key is not used in the xp install, except the EULA says you shouldnt....:xmouth:

pctek
19-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Here's the situation:

I purchased an R61 Thinkpad as my work PC, and as per corporate policy, head office removed the OEM Vista Business install, and replaced it with XP Pro. When they removed the Vista install, they also removed the recovery partition.

Does having Vista (any or all version?) give you downgrade rights to XP?

What generally should happen is, if it has Vista Business you get 2 sets of Recovery CDs. One with Xp, one with Vista.
Not very professional not giving you the ability to restore the PC - to either one of them.

And no, you can't have both.

Business is the one allowed to "downgrade", not Home Basic or Home Premium.

wainuitech
19-02-2009, 12:48 PM
To clarify that a little you cant have both simultaneously. Downgrading to XP doesn't terminate your right to use that license for vista at a later date when you dont want XP anymore. Thats right - you have to have either Vista OR XP - you cant have both, even in a dual boot - as per the EULA section (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/EULA.jpg).

If you remove Vista, you install XP - Then if you want to use Vista Again you have to remove XP.

Gobe1
20-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Gotta follow the old EULA (if you ever read those things)

Must point out, with a dual boot you cant load the two OS' at the same time so personally i would worry too much about it. Maybe with a virtual situation things would be a bit sticky.