PDA

View Full Version : positive id

NZHawk
19-02-2009, 08:37 AM
I have a person that claims that I gave them the wrong computer!
Even though their data & e-mails... are on it.

I am certain they have the correct computer.

Is there any way to positively id a computer owner other than the documents?

stormdragon
19-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Was there software on it? If so some packages require a name when installing. Such as MS Office.

Who's Windows registered to?

CYaBro
19-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Do you have any records of serial #, description etc on a job sheet with the customers details?
The software that I use when booking in a computer for repair asks for all sorts of details (Make, model, serial#, colour, specs, distinguishing marks etc) about the computer and when printed out the customer has to sign it.
It even allows you to take a photo of the computer and have it linked to the customers job.

NZHawk
19-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Great idea!
Yes there is software on it.
and Windows.

pctek
19-02-2009, 09:14 AM
I have a person that claims that I gave them the wrong computer!
Even though their data & e-mails... are on it.

:clap

They can't recognise it? Its some crappy Compaq/Dell/Acer all look the same thing?

Why do they think its different?
The hardware spec has changed?
You tidied it up and the desktop looks different?

Sweep
19-02-2009, 09:15 AM
This is a sticky one.

Let us say that you give me your system box for repair or whatever.
I could remove your 100Gig hard drive and hard drive and clone it to a 80Gig hard drive and keep your 100Gig

It would still have your data and emails on it but it would not be the same computer.

Please NOTE that I am not accusing or suspecting you of doing such a thing.

If the person has the original invoice for the computer listing specs and serial numbers then there is a fair chance that they can prove a case.

As far as I know there is no way to link a computer to a specific person.

What makes them think they have not got the correct computer back?

wainuitech
19-02-2009, 09:15 AM
The question on its own is actually a bit "open"

What was done to the Computer Eg: did you simply work on it and do any repairs, or was the Hard Drive Wiped then Windows reinstalled, and the person data then replaced.

Its sometimes can be easy to do if you have a moments lapse in concentration, working on 2-3 PC's all the same brand/ style at the same time then install the person data back on the wrong one.

Never done it myself as I always put a removable sticker on the top of the PC with the persons name & job Number on it, that matches my job sheet when working on them.

Got 3 PC's at the moment in the Workshop all HP's same model - would be easy to get the wrong one without some sort of ID.

NZHawk
19-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Do you have any records of serial #, description etc on a job sheet with the customers details?
The software that I use ...
WOW -- no I have none of these details.
Do you mind me asking what software do you use?

NZHawk
19-02-2009, 09:22 AM
What was done to the Computer Eg: did you simply work on it and do any repairs, or was the Hard Drive Wiped then Windows reinstalled, and the person data then replaced.
- I put a removable label with customers name on the computer as a book in process.
- I diagnosed a boot up error - faulty ram - with the customers ok replaced the ram.
Thank you

stormdragon
19-02-2009, 09:29 AM
So what do they think is different about it?

NZHawk
19-02-2009, 09:32 AM
They claim they don't have the cdrw drive
and that the labels on the side don't match
and the paper work that they have doesn't match the computer!

GameJunkie
19-02-2009, 09:35 AM
what about when they log in?, they can sign in i assume.

NZHawk
19-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Yes
They agree their e-mails & documents are there.

Speedy Gonzales
19-02-2009, 09:41 AM
What are they moaning about then

NZHawk
19-02-2009, 09:42 AM
?????

Speedy Gonzales
19-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Their email and docs are where?

With you or on the hdd?

If theyre on the hdd whats their prob?

NZHawk
19-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Thank you for all the input.
I'll use SIW to show the person that it is their computer and hope for clarity.

Thank you

wainuitech
19-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Maybe because its going better now they think its not theirs :D

Regarding the CD/RW drive thats easy - unless you cleaned it out of dust and crap like a Brand new one, then there will be crap under/around the drive, simply removing the drive will show its been there for some time (unless its been recently replaced). If it does have a CD/RW drive and thats not working correctly thats a case of maybe it wasn't mentioned as a previous problem so you couldn't/ didn't know to fix it.

fnphoto
19-02-2009, 11:13 AM
The software that I use when booking in a computer for repair asks for all sorts of details (Make, model, serial#, colour, specs, distinguishing marks etc) about the computer and when printed out the customer has to sign it.
It even allows you to take a photo of the computer and have it linked to the customers job.
This software sounds great. what is it?

CYaBro
19-02-2009, 11:53 AM
The software I use is Called TS Man (http://www.blanchesoft.com/index.html).
It has some funny quirks with regards to putting parts and labour on a job but you get used to it.
It does all the invoicing for you and can record how the customer pays etc.
It can print out estimates and also allows you to add items to the job that came in with the computer like any cables or software etc.
It then won't let you close the job unless you have made sure that the customer has taken all the items that were brought in with the computer.

It also creates a unique barcode for each machine and you can print it out and stick it on the machine so next time it comes in you can just scan the barcode and it will bring up all the details for that machine.

One thing I don't like about it is the invoice that is printed doesn't actually show what was done to the machine (technicians notes etc).
It just shows labour & parts used.
Supposedly you can edit and create your own invoice layout but I haven't done it yet.
There also other stuff included, like email marketing, that I haven't even looked at yet.