PDA

View Full Version : Installing a SATA 500GB HDD with a partitioned 160 IDE HDD

Knownothing
19-02-2009, 06:29 AM
I have a 160GB HDD partitioned into 20GB for win XP Pro SP3 and 140GB for installed programs in Program files folder and data.
I would like to make the 500GB HDD for installed programs in Program files folder and data. Then format the 140GB partition.

Do SATA HDDs have letters like the IDE HDDs?
If the SATA HDD doesn't have letters then does my OS have to be on it?
If I Ghost the 140GB partition onto the SATA HDD and then format the 140GB HDD will Windows find the data and or Program files?

TIA

Bantu
19-02-2009, 07:03 AM
20Gb is not much for XP
I put XP and Programs on the same partition, in my case Hard Drive.
Different Hard Drive(s) for Data created (my stuff).

I would go
160Gb for XP And Apps
500 For Data

Each Partition will have it's own drive letter, XP is best on C

Digby
19-02-2009, 07:16 AM
Knownothing, I cannot understand what you have and what you want to do. So I cannot help. Read your post again, as it does not make sense.

Also you must know a bit about what you are doing as you use Ghost !

Digby
19-02-2009, 07:17 AM
Do SATA HDDs have letters like the IDE HDDs?

Yes they do

Knownothing
20-02-2009, 06:49 AM
Knownothing, I cannot understand what you have and what you want to do. So I cannot help. Read your post again, as it does not make sense.

Also you must know a bit about what you are doing as you use Ghost !

Hi Digby
Thank you for answering that SATA HDDs have letters like IDE HDDs.
I have in my computer a 160 GB IDE HDD (physical) which is partitioned into 2 drives. C: is 20GB which has Win XP on it & the balance on D: which has all my data and installed programs.
I had this set up when I bought my computer as I wanted to keep Windows separate from all data incase Windows crashes. I thought it would be easier to install Windows.
I want to buy more storage space e.g. 500GB.
The only 500 HDDs that are available at a reasonable price are SATA.
My motherboard has a SATA connection so I wanted to include a SATA HDD in my setup hence the questions.

I have used Ghost once which was a while ago. I know that it would backup my whole D: so I could put it onto a new 500 GB SATA HDD.

I hope this makes this clearer.

Any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards
Knownothing

Bantu
20-02-2009, 07:08 AM
I would add the 500Gb drive, copy your Data only across to it while having your BIOS set to run your old C to begin with so you can do this.

Once you have your data secure then format C into one big drive again and keep that for your XP and Programs and just use the 500 for Data.

Sounds like a while since you did a clean install this would be a good opportunity. Since your programs are on a second partition they would need reinstalled if you made the drive one big partition (160Gb not big but fine for XP and quite a few programs or games.)

Knownothing
21-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks Bantu and Digby.
I'll try what you suggest Bantu. I had never thought of a clean install.
Does Win XP get confused or corrupted?

Regards
Knownothing

gary67
21-02-2009, 10:35 AM
It gets bloated with crap from MS and other stuff so a clean install from scratch gets rid of the bloat and makes the system perform faster

Blam
21-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Run PC Decrapifier.