PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling OEM Vista

GorCh
18-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Hi all,

Decided to reformat my computer, a Dell Inspiron 530.

I'm pretty sure I've done it on my old laptop with XP, but if I format the HDD to delete the Dell recovery partitions can I still reinstall Vista. I have a reinstallation DVD for it form Dell.

It's no different form getting a new HDD is it?

Cheers,

GorCh

Blam
18-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah, should work fine.

:)

GorCh
18-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Sweet thanks for the quick reply

wainuitech
18-02-2009, 07:28 PM
You may need to go to Dells web site and get some drivers if Vista doesn't install all hardware for you.

Tbird650
27-02-2009, 05:35 PM
What's the latest on OEM re-install/reactivation with new mobo?
I finally bought a M4A78Pro, phenom II & corsair ram. Also an extra HDD.
I don't want to cause extra problems for myself so I ask all you good people, should I clean install on my new HDD? or revive the old HDD? Basically what are the do's and don'ts so I can get a new activation code. I read lots of reports of OEM re-activation being done but there's much contradiction of opinion. Who's been there? Who can help. Many thanks.

Blam
27-02-2009, 06:28 PM
You could just Image it over. With Acronis/DriveImageXML or something.
Not sure about OEM activation...WT will prob be able to answer that

wainuitech
27-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Yep - Easy really, a clean install will always be better as you don't have all the extra junk that windows gathers over time.

As for Activation - if it comes up that it cant be activated, work through the telephone option until you get to talk to a person - Normally you simply tell them you had to reinstall the OS as it got badly damaged.

9 times out of 10 they ask you is this OS installed on any other PC - as long as its not you say No, and they normally give you another activation key.