PDA

View Full Version : Extraneous HDD - Data recovery.

Bryan
18-02-2009, 09:45 AM
From a previous post, I have a HDD that I would like to recover data from (XP).

I have an old PC set up with XP and have found that I can connect and see my daughter's HDD from a knackered HP Pavillion. Her system is an OEM HP setup. However, she has set herself up on her drive as an administrator password protected. I can see and recover general user files but cannot get into her files as they are "protected".

I have found in PressF1 SEARCH, methods of changing Administrator Passwords but they do not help in this case because I cannot boot into her drive.

So, to gain access to daughter's personal files on her HDD should I change my XP setup to her Administrator name and password in safe mode?, or will that be of no use considering both drives are in essence different operating systems? If this won't work, how can I access her protected files?

Speedy Gonzales
18-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Connect her hdd to your system, then take ownership of it (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421)

And scan it for errors, while its connected

Bryan
18-02-2009, 04:31 PM
For anyone interested, I was able to see my C: drive and daughter's D: drive using Acronis Disk Director. I had no other access ability to her her drive.

I spent sometime copying and pasting her "protected" photos on D: into a folder on my C: drive. I then was able to copy to a CD for her and backed it up on my main computer.

Consequently, I give full credit to Acronis, it worked perfectly other than an occassional glitch where I lost access to the mouse and had to reboot (several times).

Thanks Speedy for your help, very much appreciated. Now I just have to work out how to format her disk seeing that I can't access it even from the Windows XP program disk.

gary67
18-02-2009, 07:40 PM
You could format it with gparted from a live linux disk then reformat it for loading WIndows