PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express - copy accounts to new machine

Digby
18-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Hi Guys

I use Outlook Express (I don't know why) and would like to to be able to copy my 5 email accounts to a new hard drive.

There does not seem to be an export option for this.

is there are easy way to copy my accounts settings, as I find them a real pain to set up.

Speedy Gonzales
18-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Tools / accounts / mail tab

Highlight whatever account / export

Go to the same place to import

element16
18-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Here's the way I do it when I'm transferring a customer's data:

Go to My Computer, click Tools on the menu bar, then Folder Options. On the new window, click the View tab, then find and click the option that shows hidden files and folders. Click OK, then double click your main hard drive in My Computer. From there, go Documents and Settings, [your account name here], Local Settings, Application Data, Identities. In this folder are your Outlook Express accounts...unfortunately, all the account folders are identified by a random string of numbers and letters. The easiest way to figure out whose account is whose is to compare how much data each of the folders is holding with how many emails each user has. This works in a rough sort of way. Still, this way you won't have to wait for Outlook Express to export everything. However, you'll still need to export each user's address book, as that isn't included in the Identities folder.

Once you've copied all this over to the new computer, you're still going to need to create and configure each email account individually. When that's done, import each account's data into Outlook Express.

Digby
18-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Here's the way I do it when I'm transferring a customer's data:

Go to My Computer, click Tools on the menu bar, then Folder Options. On the new window, click the View tab, then find and click the option that shows hidden files and folders. Click OK, then double click your main hard drive in My Computer. From there, go Documents and Settings, [your account name here], Local Settings, Application Data, Identities. In this folder are your Outlook Express accounts...unfortunately, all the account folders are identified by a random string of numbers and letters. The easiest way to figure out whose account is whose is to compare how much data each of the folders is holding with how many emails each user has. This works in a rough sort of way. Still, this way you won't have to wait for Outlook Express to export everything. However, you'll still need to export each user's address book, as that isn't included in the Identities folder.

Once you've copied all this over to the new computer, you're still going to need to create and configure each email account individually. When that's done, import each account's data into Outlook Express.

Wow ! - thanks for that, but Speedy's way looks much easier.
I have been able to copy and import the messages, and addresses.