PDA

View Full Version : Phew!! Newby needs help with USB problem

nsg
17-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Don't be hard on me please, I'm trying to explain this in "NSG" language. I have a Compaq laptop, and in my naive wisdom decided to buy an external harddrive for my music collection. Pluggged it in, spent all weekend putting my CD collection onto it, worked fine. Played them on Tuesday, cool. Tonight "My Computer " won't show the E: Drive it's plugged into. Unplugged it and put my canon scanner in there and it worked automatically. I can hear the external h/drive making a noise, lights on - no one home. What am I doing wrong? It's taken me 50 mins to figure out how to post.

Blam
17-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Have you plugged in both cables to the PC(one for power, one for connection)
And check if you can see the drive in disk management-Run>Dismgmt.msc

nsg
17-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Yes cables are connected correctly. Tried Run>dismgmt.msc end up with an error "windows cannot find blah blah blah. I'm assuming "Run" is that one by the start button, Sorry.

Blam
17-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Sorry, I spelt it wrong:p...getting sleepy:D

It should be Run>Diskmgmt.msc

nsg
17-02-2009, 11:36 PM
That showed C: healthy, D: No media and that's it.

Blam
18-02-2009, 12:31 AM
Hm...Try another USB cable
Should be any USB to mini USB cable.

Have you dropped the hard drive recently?

lakewoodlady
18-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Hi NSG,
When you unplugged it, did you "Safely remove hardware" or just pulled the USB cable out?
LL

pctek
18-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Data corruption or worse - the drive itself is dead.
I'd connect it directly to your PC and run some tests. Or take it somewhere where that can be done.

element16
18-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Doesn't sound too healthy. Try plugging the usb cable into different ports, and see if Windows will redetect and reinstall the drivers. If no joy there, then it sounds as if the hard drive might have died on you; hopefully not, because it would be a bummer to have to stick all that music onto another external hard drive if you claimed warranty on it.