PDA

View Full Version : This program requires mmx support

stu morgan
17-02-2009, 09:15 PM
had to reformat harddrive this weekend-reloaded windows xppro and have upadated all patches including sp3. Am trying to reload a cctv footage player, never had a problem loading ever before but keep getting the message this program requires mmx support when I try to set it up- can anyone tell me what I need to do to enable mmx support- I havent changed any hardware or programs from what was running before reformat.

Blam
17-02-2009, 09:20 PM
What cpu do u have?

Speedy Gonzales
17-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Yup its the CPU that supports MMX

stu morgan
17-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Its an ASRock K7s8X motherboard running 1.67gigahertz AMD AthlonXP processor

Blam
17-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Your cpu support mmx, so you may need to upgrade your motherboard bios/firmware

stu morgan
17-02-2009, 10:11 PM
This program worked fine on this computer before reformat, I take it that there is no way of turning this function on or off manually?

Blam
17-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Maybe their is an option in the bios. If you know what you're doing, look around the bios. Personally I don't have much knowledge/experience of mmx.
Another member may be able to help with this

Blam

stu morgan
17-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Just tried the firmware upgrade which unfortunately didn't work, will have a look around bios now - had a little play in there earlier this afternoon and couldnt see any thing obvious, will have another look now....

stu morgan
17-02-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks for your help but nothing obvious in BIOS, will check this thread again in morning

Driftwood
17-02-2009, 11:02 PM
"Just tried the firmware upgrade which unfortunately didn't work"
Does that mean a bios update, or motherboard drivers.

feersumendjinn
18-02-2009, 12:51 AM
Have you installed motherboard drivers (((not mentioned in opening post) may include integrated video driver), they are needed for the OS to communicate correctly with the motherboard)?, and video card drivers (if it has a separate card); XP's built-in video driver is only 2D, not 3D capable.
Could also replace CMOS battery (will be very overdue if it's the original), you'll maybe need to reset the BIOS settings for the CPU after you do this as the BIOS will possibly set the CPU speed to the base settings (very slow!).
This may help you
http://compreviews.about.com/cs/pchardwarebasics/a/aaBIOS.htm
Go into bios and record the FSB and CPU frequency multiplier settings before you change the battery, alternatively find out what the settings should be for that CPU (you might find it's been running at the wrong speed!).
Could be limited adjustments according to the manual
http://download.asrock.com/manual/K7S8X.pdf