PDA

View Full Version : How would this work?

stormdragon
17-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Anybody got any ideas on how the setup in this (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/compute/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501832&objectid=10557127) article could be achieved?

Thanks

davidmmac
17-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Mod the computer? ;)

robsonde
17-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Anybody got any ideas on how the setup in this (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/compute/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501832&objectid=10557127) article could be achieved?

Thanks

I have seen this done , you can get add-on program.
you must use USB keyboard and mouse.

I have only seen two screens per computer.

I have no clue what the add-on software is called.

wainuitech
17-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Could be using some software similar to This here (http://www.thinsoftinc.com/products.aspx) mainly This one (http://www.thinsoftinc.com/product_pc_sharing_betwin.aspx).

stormdragon
17-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Cheers Wainui, wondering just how effective this sort of software would be though.

Would a normal motherboard and Windows install be able to handle four or so PCI graphics cards or would that be drawing to much from the interface?

In theory it would be a great way to get more computers into the school I'm doing a bit of IT work for.

robsonde
17-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Cheers Wainui, wondering just how effective this sort of software would be though.

Would a normal motherboard and Windows install be able to handle four or so PCI graphics cards or would that be drawing to much from the interface?

In theory it would be a great way to get more computers into the school I'm doing a bit of IT work for.

going 4 way should be OK as long as you are not doing video and such.
for a bit of web browsing and some word docs it will be fine.

wainuitech
17-02-2009, 08:51 PM
going 4 way should be OK as long as you are not doing video and such.
for a bit of web browsing and some word docs it will be fine.
Agree with that - If you look at the system Spec's on the site they are not exactly high - I would assume these are minimum
Recommended System Requirements on Host PC
• Pentium® III 450MHz or faster
• 192MB minimum for 2 users (64MB per additional user)
• USB Ports
• Available PCI or AGP slot

As it says PCI slot(s) having available PCI slots would be the biggest requirements.

Since PCI graphic cards may be a bit harder to come by these days that would be the only real drawback.

I have a spare PCI card laying about - mind you its ATI - and the workshop PC's all run nVidia Cards - could make an interesting Experiment :thumbs:

Chilling_Silence
18-02-2009, 12:45 AM
Used to have 6 monitors running on a P60Mhz off a dozen el-cheapo Trio 64v PCI cards with the flying through space screensaver, all setup around my room ... now *that* was cool stuff :D Felt like I was in a real-life Star Trek episode ;)

thompsonjemss
18-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Hello Friends

Nice question

Chilling_Silence
18-02-2009, 02:06 AM
Errr ... yes, I thought so too ?

stormdragon
18-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Started reading a bit more into it a each Workstation would require a separate license at a cost of $99 U.S. dollars = $194.27 New Zealand dollars. Plus a separate graphics card at approx $100. Plus the computer would probably have to be fairly decent spec (I don't believe their recommended spec's would even like one XP environment.)

Seems like it would be a better idea just to use the like of EEE Boxes for cheap student PC's.

stormdragon
18-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Used to have 6 monitors running on a P60Mhz off a dozen el-cheapo Trio 64v PCI cards with the flying through space screensaver, all setup around my room ... now *that* was cool stuff :D Felt like I was in a real-life Star Trek episode ;)

Nice setup Chilly and people complain about my two monitors. :stare:

I presume they were all CRT's :xmouth::horrified

Chilling_Silence
18-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Yup, some of the CRTs could only do 640x480, but I didnt care, still looked cool! :D

wainuitech
18-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Started reading a bit more into it a each Workstation would require a separate license at a cost of $99 U.S. dollars = $194.27 New Zealand dollars. Plus a separate graphics card at approx $100. Plus the computer would probably have to be fairly decent spec (I don't believe their recommended spec's would even like one XP environment.)

Seems like it would be a better idea just to use the like of EEE Boxes for cheap student PC's.
Still a lot cheaper than having separate Computers. using the prices provided:

Eg: 1 user @ $294.27 --- And a whole PC would cost a lot more than that - and just looking at some places - Asus Eee Pc 701 Celeron around $460.

So in round figures - $160 cheaper - now times that by say 30 students.

$194.27 x 30 =$5828.1 compared to $460 x 30 = $13800

$13800 - $5828 = $7972

$7972 is a lot of money for a school to save.

If it were 3-4 PC's / students only then maybe but not when you are talking many. Now work that out at say 60 + students ;)

stormdragon
18-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Only problem Wainui is you forgot to take the actual computer that would be hosting these and also the cost of each PCI card.

Say each PCI card costs $100 then from your $160 you've only got $60 left which could go towards the host.

If you get 5 workstations off each host thats only $300 towards the cost of the host.

Plus there's the cost of each monitor, keyboard and mouse set.

stormdragon
18-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Sorry screwed that one up.

Would end up being $160 left over as you were saying but then you still need the host system and monitors, keyboards and mice.

wainuitech
18-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Your only talking small amount of users though - as I said, if it were only a few then maybe - but 1 powerful ( or existing PC) + hardware+ Licenses is still going to be cheaper than multi EEe boxes.

My mistake before- that price I posted of $460 was for the Asus EEE (laptop) with the 7" screen - totally pointless in a school classroom - the One that would be of some use is the Asus Eee Box B202 PC as posted on Ascent s site that does have a monitor , keyboard etc. $828.00This one here (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=373903) -- BUT thats even more expensive.

Talking "bulk Buying" if a school were to use the Cards in a PC, even having to purchase 1 or 2 more powerfull PC's first, then say order 30 + cards, + 30 + monitors + 30+ keyboard and mouse combos - they would still get a FAR better price than 30+ Asus Eee Box B202

single price units est figures --

License = Card $294

19" LCD $270

Keyboard / Mouse combo $33.00

Total - $597.00

Thats still $231 cheaper than 1 Asus box.

Now lets say you have to buy a Single PC with power to run 5 stations at once ( not including the extra cards- Round figures - pull a figure out the sky) with a bit of power $1500.00

OK sure you may have to purchase the Odd PC to run the units if the current ones dont have the power, but that would depend on what the school currently has.

The school originally linked in the original question - obviously did some figures, and assuming they are using a similar program, it has obviously saved a fair amount of $$$$$ other wise they wouldn't have done it.

stormdragon
18-02-2009, 09:38 AM
The new systems using EEE Boxes we are looking at are approx $700 incl GST and a Monitor

4 x $700 = $2800

Using this system

$200 per software licence
$100 per PCI video card
$220 per monitor, keyboard and mouse.

$520 per workstation

Host approx $650 can provide 4 workstations

4 x $520 + $650 = $2730

Doesn't seem that much in it to me.The new systems we are looking at are approx $700 incl GST and a Monitor

4 x $700 = $2800

Using this system

$200 per software licence
$100 per PCI video card
$220 per monitor, keyboard and mouse.

$520 per workstation

Host approx $650 can provide 4 workstations

4 x $520 + $650 = $2730

At 40 systems you would be looking at a $700 difference the cost of one of the EEE Box and monitor combos.

Doesn't seem that much in it to me.

Edit: True everything relies on whether the school had some existing hardware to use and if the software was even that which you were linking to and not some cheaper alternative.
I might get in touch with the school and see if I can't find out how they did it. Thanks for the info and helping me think though this.

wainuitech
18-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Just done some ACTUAL real pricing, not guess work ( retail)

To have a PC - board that Has 5 Graphic Cards, ( 2 PCI-E & 3 PCI)
CPU - Q8200, 2 GB Ram, DVD Writer, Windows XP Home 250GB Drive 5 x Viewsonic 19’ LCD’s, 5 x keyboard /mouse 5 x Licences

Works out roughly $100 cheaper that 5 Asus boxes. Mind you the PC would rip any Asus to bits power wise.

Thats using retail pricing from any shop anyone can buy items from.

If you have existing gear it would be a lot cheaper., then of course you would have the problem of not overloading the power circuits in the building running 20 + separate PC's.

Obviously a School would get discounts etc. So what ever the school did, it saved them a lot of money - good on them.

might get in touch with the school and see if I can't find out how they did it Good idea - esp if you are doing something similar - post back if able any info you can get - may come in useful for others as well.