PDA

View Full Version : This website - this one done in code or graphics or what ?

Misty
15-02-2009, 07:46 PM
I am a member of this club
http://northshorephoto.co.nz/
The website set-up seems pretty good to me, however the forum area is quite useless. Am told by the originator that all members can post queries, answers etc, but that is not right, you need to be a registered member of the website (in addition to being a member of the club). Cannot shake him of the concept that there is a problem.

Have asked my daughter who lives in Wellington is she could help in sorting out the forum area. She would be if it is a graphical interface such as Dreamweaver, but definitely could not do this if it is in code.

Is anyone able to go in the backend or otherwise identify whether this website is set up in code ? It would help if I can be clearer at the AGM held later this month if I can make suggestions based on greater understanding of what is achievable re this website, particularly the forum area.
Misty :help:

Jen
15-02-2009, 08:31 PM
That forum is created with phpBB (http://www.phpbb.com). A very popular free forum software package. It functions in a similar manner to this forum.

The administrator of the forum should have access to the Admin Control Panel. From that, they can access the setup and preferences of the forum.

It would be very dangerous to allow non-registered users (guests) to post messages on the board, as it would soon be filled with spam.

If you look at the phpBB support site, there will be user guides as well as updates to the version that the North Shore Photographic Society currently runs.

Misty
15-02-2009, 09:08 PM
That forum is created with phpBB (http://www.phpbb.com). It would be very dangerous to allow non-registered users (guests) to post messages on the board, as it would soon be filled with spam.
Thanks Jen
That's very useful info. Since allowing guests to post would be dangerous, I now need to promote that our members be made registered users of the website on application so that they can post. The developer has been saying that is not necessary and that we can post without. No wonder there are no general posts.

The info re the software package is also very useful info since it seems that I and my daughter can offer to make some slight updates to make the forum of much in tune for what it should be. At the moment it is in limbo. The basics are fine but just need fine tuning !
Misty :)

Renmoo
15-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Hey Misty. I operate a phpBB forum on my website as well.

To allow/disallow guests to post messages:
Assuming forums have already been set up, which seems to be the case

Login to ACP (Administration Control Panel), click "Forums" tab. Next, select "Groups' forum permissions" and select all forums if you need to. After clicking "Submit", select "Guests" under "Look up usergroup". Click "Submit" and configure the permissions there.

Regarding changing the interface of the forum, you can certainly configure virtually every aspect of the appearance by tinkering with the templates under "Styles". The configurations are done through modifying HTML and CSS codes.

Feel free to bug me if you need a bit more help :)

Cheers :)

Rob99
15-02-2009, 11:16 PM
The site is using Joomla, there is better forum software called fireboard that snaps in easily.

Chilling_Silence
15-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Ive used Fireboard .. it integrates well, but other than that I hated it :(