PDA

View Full Version : New Drive, Need Help, No Firefox tabs or passwords, No Office Apps

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
15-02-2009, 06:40 PM
I used to have an 80GB 5400 rpm Drive and i swapped with a New 320GB 7800? rpm Drive. I managed to image the Old Drive onto the new one, so i have my picture files and documents from the old drive on the new one.
I also have the Old Drive setup as an External Drive.

Is there anyway to salvage all my old Firefox tabs and perhaps salvage passwords too? I'm most worried about the tabs, i had a lot that were very hard to acquire over the time I've been online.

And the Office applications were odd anyway because my roommate last year gave me his product key, so i don't think i can salvage those. So a direct link to Online Office? would be very cool. :drool

Another problem...
My old Drive always had 90+ processes running and i figured my New Drive would have the "normal" 30-40 but it's running around 80. I downloaded "SpyBot: Search and Destroy" Which i think was supposed to fix my process issue but i'm still running HOT. :confused:

:thanks

Blam
15-02-2009, 06:49 PM
When you images the drive, did you image both C and D?
It sounds like you only imaged D drive...

If so, do you still have the original C drive data?
As for the processes problem, you may have lots of crap running.
Download HijackThis and post it here for analysis

Blam

gary67
15-02-2009, 06:49 PM
If the old drive is still bootable you could use foxmarks to export them or an addon for exporting FF passwords

Blam
15-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Use FEBE if it is bootable. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2109 As for office, you can use something like OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/) which is free. Or, you can use GOO (http://go-oo.org/), a lean fast version of openoffice. Both are fully compatible with Microsoft Office.

Speedy Gonzales
15-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Yup, you'll have to get openoffice.

You cant download MS Office.Unless you pay for it. Thats if its downloadable

wainuitech
15-02-2009, 08:02 PM
I managed to image the Old Drive onto the new one, so i have my picture files and documents from the old drive on the new one.
IF you imaged the drive from one to the other, then it should be an exact replica of the original - meaning every thing will be as it was on the old drive, just more capacity .

Blam
15-02-2009, 08:09 PM
I think he only imaged one partition and just said it wrong...

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
15-02-2009, 08:15 PM
My Uncle did it for me, yeah the partitions were transferred over and were made proportionally bigger, but for some reason i had to re-download FF cause it looks like i have a brand-new computer...

After we did it the new drive wanted to start over from factory settings, like it didn't work, but we managed to have it save all the files that were new since the last backup (which for some reason was never, i couldn't ever get a backup to work).
So i still have all the old stuff, but I didn't see FF anywhere...

As for Office i did download Open Office and it should work perfect for my Class Downloads... :thanks

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
15-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Sorry if this is too much, but this is all of it...

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2:13:33 AM, on 2/15/2009
Platform: Windows Vista (WinNT 6.00.1904)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16809)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\scheduler.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\PDF Complete\pdfsty.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP ProtectTools Security Manager\pthosttr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\WiFiMsg.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QLBCTRL.exe
C:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe
c:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP wireless Assistant\WiFiMsg.EXE
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\HpqToaster.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Windows\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\newdev.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\swriter.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.exe
C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\soffice.bin
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.hp.com
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=none&bd=smb&pf=laptop
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=none&bd=smb&pf=laptop
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1E8A6170-7264-4D0F-BEAE-D42A53123C75} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\1.5\NppBho.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: Credential Manager for HP ProtectTools - {DF21F1DB-80C6-11D3-9483-B03D0EC10000} - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\IAM\Bin\ItIEAddIn.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Show Norton Toolbar - {90222687-F593-4738-B738-FBEE9C7B26DF} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\coShared\Browser\1.5\UIBHO.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDF Complete] "C:\Program Files\PDF Complete\pdfsty.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PTHOSTTR] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP ProtectTools Security Manager\PTHOSTTR.EXE /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpWirelessAssistant] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WAWifiMessage] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\WiFiMsg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Health Check Scheduler] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QlbCtrl] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CognizanceTS] rundll32.exe C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\IAM\Bin\ASTSVCC.dll,RegisterM odule
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] c:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [ST Recovery Launcher] %WINDIR%\SMINST\launcher.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [StartCCC] c:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LightScribe Control Panel] C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe -hidden
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 3.0.lnk = C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe
O4 - Global Startup: DVD Check.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\DVD Check\DVDCheck.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: APSHook.dll
O23 - Service: Andrea ADI Filters Service (AEADIFilters) - Andrea Electronics Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\AEADISRV.EXE
O23 - Service: Agere Modem Call Progress Audio (AgereModemAudio) - Agere Systems - C:\Windows\system32\agrsmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Ati External Event Utility - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: Com4Qlb - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\Com4Qlb.exe
O23 - Service: COM Host (comHost) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VAScanner\comHost.exe
O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqWmiEx.exe
O23 - Service: HP Service (hpsrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Hpservice.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec IS Password Validation (ISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\isPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: IviRegMgr - InterVideo - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InterVideo\RegMgr\iviRegMgr.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service Ex (LiveUpdate Notice Ex) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe
O23 - Service: PDF Document Manager (pdfcDispatcher) - PDF Complete Inc - C:\Program Files\PDF Complete\pdfsvc.exe
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: SBSD Security Center Service (SBSDWSCService) - Safer Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - c:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AppCore Service (SymAppCore) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe

--
End of file - 10597 bytes

limepile
15-02-2009, 08:23 PM
I think you should still be able to run Firefox from the old drive, locate it in the program files and run it. Then do this-

Open up your existing Firefox and go Bookmarks > Organise bookmarks > Import & Backup > Export HTML. Save this file somewhere handy. On your new system, open up Firefox and do the same except choose Import HTML and browse to where you saved the exported copy.

Thanks Jen, who posted the advice for me when I had this exact same problem.

When I did this I saved the HTML file to a flash drive, shut down FF, then ran the new FF that I had installed on my new drive...it was so easy

Speedy Gonzales
15-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Get rid of Symantec, uninstall all versions of Java, its out of date. Then update it

Tick these then tick fix checked

Close browsers

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] c:\Program Files\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LightScribe Control Panel] C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe -hidden

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
16-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks Speedy, i took care of Java and Symantec and the other...

I can't seem to find an XTML file for Firefox, i see two files that say "update" but not too sure if that's it.

-Can i boot my Cpu from the External Drive and it'll act like my old CPU? I think i need to take off my password security, it won't let me see certain files. I think i may have bipassed it and changed the Admin settings.
I just can't seem to find the right location for FF...

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
16-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Do you guys think there's anyway to salvage my product key?

I downloaded Open Office but the Power Point is glitchy...I've been looking for a way to run apps off of my external drive but i can't find them...

gary67
16-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Yep try Belarc advisor or SIW they can both show product keys of installed software if you can boot the drive they are installed on

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
17-02-2009, 01:01 AM
Thanks, i'll give it a go :thumbs:

I'm nearly to the point where i'm beginning to like my new drive :clap

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
17-02-2009, 08:32 AM
So the Belarc Advisor was amazing, got the product key...but i can't get the right Microsoft office going...

It's Microsoft Office 2007...

I found the shortcut that was on my old desktop but the shortcut won't work, i can't find the actual Microsoft office application... :confused:

Blam
17-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Do you still have the CD?
You need the cd to reinstall office 07 on the new machine.

Or, you can probably download the office 07 trial and enter in your key

SpartanEngineerAstronaut
17-02-2009, 05:00 PM
I have the Trial on my System but my Key won't work...
It's the key my roommate gave me, i think he said it only works 3x, and that he was giving me the last time to use the key?
Shame, i really don't want to spend $80 on the Student Version of Office, but i don't think i could live with all the differences there are with Open Office...it is incredibly free but i need Office 2007...

Oh, and i tried to boot from my External Drive and my machine turned on just like it booted from the New One???
I thought it would load up like my computer was before i swapped the drives...Perhaps i didn't Boot correctly?