PDA

View Full Version : PC can't find network hardware

vladiator
15-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Hi again

Sorry to start another "help me to build my PC" thread. But I am almost there.

I sorted out my gfx card issue, installed new Windows Vista (with SP1), and wanted to go to the internet to check for updates, but PC can't find any hardware. It diagnosed the problem as:

The network adaptor "realtek rtl8168/8111 family gigabit ethernet nic (ndis 6.0)" is experiencing driver or hardware related issues.

I use Asus M3A78-EM, and I thought that one of the openings at the back of the motherboard is supposed to be a network adaptor. And there is definitely an opening at the back where I can insert my broadband cable.

gary67
15-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Disable your firewall if it's comodo and try again, are the LAN drivers installed?

vladiator
15-02-2009, 04:59 PM
PS: And a side-question - I have 2 HDDs: a new 500GB where I installed Vista, and old 80GB which I used on my previous PC with XP. Can I delete all the files in the "Windows" directory from the older HDD?

Thanks in advance.

gary67
15-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Personally I would have installed Vista on the 80 and kept the new disk as the data disk, is the XP still bootable if so you will need to alter the MBR as well I think

vladiator
15-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Disable your firewall if it's comodo and try again, are the LAN drivers installed?

Thanks for reponding. I am not sure what you mean by "comodo". I still have the whatever settings Vista installed to my PC.

LAN driver? Actually my old PC had a card that was similar to a gfx card with word LAN on it that went into PCI slot. I didn't move it to my new PC. Should I?

Blam
15-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Comodo is a FW software.

Download the drivers for your NIC and install them if they're not already installed

Speedy Gonzales
15-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Well unless the PC has a NIC in it, and the drivers have been installed, it wont be going on the net

Blam
15-02-2009, 05:08 PM
With another computer obviously:p

Or he can use his old pc's NIC as he mentioned b4

gary67
15-02-2009, 05:14 PM
He will still need to install the Nic drivers for the card in Vista to be able to use it though as it sounds like they were installed in XP, but maybe I'm reading it wrong but that's what I think has happened. Your motherboard has inbuilt LAN I looked it up so you just need to install all the drivers that are on the CD that came with it or download the drivers from it on the Asus website

vladiator
15-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Sorry, guys, I am getting a bit lost. :) What's NIC? Will installing my other PC's card solve it?

vladiator
15-02-2009, 05:16 PM
my xp isn't bootable anymore. All my drivers from my old pc came in an ACER disk that I can't use on my new pc.

gary67
15-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Your motherboard has a built in NIC (Network Interface Card) it just needs the drivers installing into Vista for it to be able to connect to the internet. They will be on the CD that came with the motherboard. If you don't have the CD you will have to download the drivers from the Asus website on another computer and transfer them over to install them

vladiator
15-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Of course, I have a mobo CD and totally forgot about it (I have been overwhelmed by all the cables and screws for the last couple of days). Installing drivers now. Thanks.

gary67
15-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Glad was able to help hope all goes well now

vladiator
16-02-2009, 11:20 AM
I just want to say that this site and its participants are amazing. If not for your very quick responses, I would still be trying to sort out what the problems with my PC were. But now, thanks to the internet, even a total amateur like me can build a PC!

Thanks, guys. Touching wood that nothing unexpected happens to my new system, or I'll be back!

gary67
16-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Yes I still spend time on here learning you will always be doing that but the pleasure you get from building your own and being able to help friends is well worth the effort