View Full Version : If you have nod32, do you need any other security software

davidmmac
15-02-2009, 03:54 PM
eg. Firewall, spyware software?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Speedy Gonzales
15-02-2009, 03:58 PM
You should only have 1 firewall / AV program installed, or they'll conflict

You could probably install more than 1 anti-spyware program, but I wouldnt run all of them at the same time (I wouldnt install more than 2-3)

If you dont use P2P programs, you probably dont need a firewall

Depends what version of NOD32 you've got, the one with or without the firewall

Blam
15-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Get 2 anti spywares, such as SpywareTerminator, or SuperAntiSpyware and Spybot S&D.

For FW, Nods FW is useless, so get Comodo if you really need it.

gary67
15-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Do you just have Nod AV or the NOD suite? I have the suite and find it good I have found it to be better than Comodo for me easier to configure much more intuitive aside from that Comodo refuses to work with my NIC

davidmmac
15-02-2009, 05:13 PM
I think it is just the AV.

Where can you get comodo firewall from? I went to the website, but it's just got two internet security suites.

gary67
15-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Comodo firewall here (http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/download_firewall.html). Just choose not to install the AV

pctek
15-02-2009, 05:46 PM
You should on
You could probably install more than 1 anti-spyware program, but I wouldnt run all of them at the same time (I wouldnt install more than 2-3)

If you dont use P2P programs, you probably dont need a firewall

NODs firewall isn't that great. And a firewall is something you should have. I installed Online Armour (among other things) on a new PC recently and while showing her the internet she decided to download one or 2 screensavers.

One of them upon attempting to install set off Online Armor which went into high alert and stopped it. Good on it.

I have 6 antispywares (and 1 purely system change warning system) installed at present, 3 have some resident protection active. They don't conflict or cause problems.

I like to test them out now and then and see how they do. Which is why of the free ones Malware Bytes is a current favourite.

Laura
15-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Care to name your 6 anti-spywares?

Might help some of us...

Speedy Gonzales
15-02-2009, 11:45 PM
NODs firewall isn't that great

I figured that out, I tried it, since WT gave me a free sub for it.

The AV was a bit touchy too. I downloaded one file, it was a free game (legit), and was over 1 GB. Just as the download was about to finish, the bloody thing picked something up in it, and deleted it lol.

It could have asked me first, but NO it deleted it without giving me an option

(At least Avast pops up with something, if it finds something strange)

As for the firewall, I dont know if it was a windows prob or a NOD prob (It was a known prob with NOD previously), and Chillisoft / Eset said it had been fixed (in the version I had installed).

BUT, for some reason, I kept on getting these 2 errors that were supposedly fixed.

I was going to test it again (since I think I found an XP update for this SMB issue (it was an SMB error) for PC's with multiple CPU's.

BUT, I cant now. Since the hdd NOD and its key were on, died last week. And the replacement hdd wont be back at the shop, till next week

Well if people dont know what theyre getting, they should check before they install it

Myth
16-02-2009, 06:26 AM
I usually install 2 anti-spyware apps (AdAware and Spybot) and Avast AV

Have tended not to bother with firewalls unless requested. If needed I use Outpost free

I would also advise you install MalwareBytes as a backup and run that occassionally. Awesome app (ty Wanui)

Ninjabear
16-02-2009, 07:15 AM
I have malwarebytes,counterspy along with NOD32. I don't use any firewalls though

pctek
16-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Care to name your 6 anti-spywares?

Might help some of us...

All the usual mentioned here all the time, plus Counterspy (pay) and Ghost Security Suite (nothing to do with Symantecs Ghost).

wainuitech
16-02-2009, 12:53 PM
The AV was a bit touchy too. I downloaded one file, it was a free game (legit), and was over 1 GB. Just as the download was about to finish, the bloody thing picked something up in it, and deleted it lol.
Speedy - what was the game and from where - I'll download it and see if the same thing happens.

Personally I would rather have software that dumps something of it looks like a bug than let it through - many people if given the choice, and dont know what they are being asked simply allow - and then it causes trouble.

Speedy Gonzales
16-02-2009, 03:08 PM
The suffering I think (http://www.gpdownloads.co.nz/dl.dyn/Files/4069.html)

Avast did the same thing, (but has since been fixed) but didnt delete it

You'll know, because as soon as it finishes it'll do something (unless theyve fixed it)

wainuitech
16-02-2009, 06:32 PM
okay my reply got dumped along with the one before --- Started download the game at 5.37pm - not exactly fast servers are they :lol: I'll post back what happens---Almost an hour later and just under half way through :sleep Wake em up when its finished please.

wainuitech
16-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Okay thats a bummer - it wasn't Nod that killed it at 98% the server reset at Gameplanet - and wouldn't allow a reconnection - I was actually tried again on a PC with No AV - same thing after 30 % --- NOT impressed

Twelvevolts
17-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Well for me

Nod 32 anti-virus
Malwarebytes
SUPERantispyware
Windows Defender (run the full scan)
SecuniaPSI (Personal Software Inspector)
SpywareBlaster
Sphinx Vista Firewall Control
Spybot S&D
Windows firewall

Run the MS Baseline Security Analyser every now and then as well.

Have a hardware firewall as well.