PDA

View Full Version : Accidential deletion of iexplore.exe

mathsgood
15-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Hi Everyone

Yesterday I was trying to make a desktop shortcut it IE6 (I had IE8 RC1 at that time) but I couldn't find it in c:\WINDOWS\ie7 (because it was preinstalled on my PC) so I went to look in c:\WINDOWS\ie8 and I found it but when I double clicked it nothing happened. So instead of deleting the shortcut I shredded it (I like shredding instead of deleting:)) using File Shredder, but after shredding I didn't go away so I tried again. But then this time it said it wasn't a valid file. Then I realised what I had done. I had shredded c:\WINDOWS\ie8\iexplore.exe instead of %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\IE6.lnk (I made the name IE6). I was worried. IE8 still works, but what about IE7? So I decided I'd go back to IE8 Beta 2 (There was a different reason for this, a completely different reason). I uninstalled IE8 RC1, but it asked me for the iexplore.exe file I had shredded. So I tried to think how to fix this problem. Then I saw it say (at the bottom) Files of type: iexplore.exe; iexplore.ex_. So I navigated to c:\i386 and selected IEXPLORE.EX_. Then it was okay from then on.

The question is: was this okay to do? Did it cause any problems?

Thanks

pcuser42
15-02-2009, 01:03 PM
It got rid of Internet Exploder anyway :p

wainuitech
15-02-2009, 01:36 PM
basically the I386 folder is the installation folder - all you have done is replaced a missing file with a now working one.

If every thing is working Ok then great.

To check though - click start/ Run, type in sfc /scannow <Enter> ( note space between the c /s ) you'll get a window open and the PC will scan for missing or damaged files, since the I386 folder is there it will automatically extract any thing it needs - go have a cuppa, cut the lawns - what ever while its doing it. When its finished the window will close.

nerd
15-02-2009, 03:01 PM
had ie8 already come out? or is it just beta?

i recommend u use firefox for now,and even when t does get fixed still use it, lol :)

Blam
15-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Its still in beta. IE8RC1