PDA

View Full Version : Will it give me significant boost? --Asus XG Station

powerover
15-02-2009, 09:03 AM
recently I decided I will upgrade my lappy by buying a viewsonic HD capable monitor, so I'm not limited to the 15.4" screen.

Now I am wondering if I should give it a boost (gaming graphic performance wise) by buying a Asus XG Station

(http://www.ifocus.co.nz/Video+Cards+%252526+Video+Devices/Video+Cards/ASUS+XG+Station+ExpressCard+External+GeForce+8600G T+256MB+128-bit+GDDR3+Video+Card+-+Retail.html)

My question is, is it even compatible with my dell inspiron 6400?
will this laptop external graphic card give me any significant boost? To help you decide I have gathered around the following information.

Existing graphic card: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
Future graphic card: Asus XG Station (with a NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT inside)

existing total available graphics memory: 894MB, 128MB dedicated and 766MB sheared.
Future total available graphics memory: 256 MB of dedicated memory, but I am not sure if nvidia has some sort of technology that allows the graphics card to shear system memory.

existing DirectX version: DirectX 9.0c (I think)
future DirectX version: DirectX 10 capable, (I think)

existing memory interface: 128-bit (I think)
future memory interface: 128-bit

existing connectivity: VGA output
future connectivity: D-Sub (via adapter), DVI, HDTV (YPbPr), TV (YPbPr to S-Video and Composite)

existing connectivity2: built in
future connective: connect to the laptop via ExpressCard slot.

Major benefit of getting the external graphics card: upgradeable, I can just pull the old graphics card out of the housing and put in a new one.

Major concerns: will it even work with my laptop? I mean one is ATI and the other is Nvidia......

and the price of the XG station, I can probably get it through friends in Singapore or Malaysia, definitely cheaper. :D

if anymore information is required please just ask, I will try my best to find it.

any thoughts or any recommendation is most welcomed :)

thanks for the help in advance, cheers :thumbs:

Speedy Gonzales
15-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Unless you've got what it says down the bottom of the site you posted

No its not compatible, so it wont work with a Dell

Compatible model list:

Asus W5F, W6F, U5F, U1E, F3SA, F3SV, U6S, R1E, U3F, Lamborghini

By the looks of it, it has to be an ASUS not a Dell

powerover
15-02-2009, 09:48 AM
ummmm...thnks Speedy, I was reading that as well, but I was thinking it would be a bit of waste if asus spend money only developing products that only works on their own notebooks, so I was hoping that it will work on any notebook with a express card slot. so all that research for nothing then...:dogeye:

I might actually flick them a email and find out for sure...just imagine the possibilities if it will work on any notebook.......

Speedy Gonzales
15-02-2009, 10:02 AM
By the looks of it, it doesnt connect to it permanently

Its connected with a cable, then whatever is connected to its outputs

As shown in the bottom pic here (http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&l2=162&l3=0&l4=0&model=1557&modelmenu=1)

powerover
15-02-2009, 10:55 AM
yeah, that is exactly what I wanted, connected to my lappy via the express card slot...

cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
15-02-2009, 10:58 AM
Well I would send ASUS or the link you posted an email first

To see if it'll work, otherwise, it'll be a waste of money

powerover
15-02-2009, 11:11 AM
yup, thnks, will get back to ya asap.

cheers.

but IF it works, how much boost (or how significant the boost) will be?

Speedy Gonzales
15-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Wouldnt have a clue

BUT according to some sites, the XG is the shell for a PCI-E card. It doesnt have one in it. So, not only do you have to get the XG, you'll also have to buy the video card to go into it

Some sites, say it is now obsolete

By the looks of it, ATI are doing something similar, called ATI Lasso, or XPG (http://ati.amd.com/technology/xgp/index.html)

And it'll support multiple video cards (up to 4 monitors), and comes with USB, HDMI, DVI connections

pctek
15-02-2009, 03:37 PM
My question is, is it even compatible with my dell inspiron 6400?

Existing graphic card: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
Future graphic card: Asus XG Station (with a NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT inside)

connect to the laptop via ExpressCard slot.

Major benefit of getting the external graphics card: upgradeable, I can just pull the old graphics card out of the housing and put in a new one.

Major concerns: will it even work with my laptop?

http://blog.laptopmag.com/asus-xg-station-rises-from-the-dead

In theory it should work if you have Expresscard.
In practice? ANd my supplier has listed it but they never seem to get stock.
Hmmmmmm...

powerover
15-02-2009, 08:56 PM
thnks for the reply pcteck, you gave me confidence and hope!

I shall ring asus tomorrow first thing in the morning, or email them. :D

cheers :thumbs: