PDA

View Full Version : Xp setup won't find hard disk

hueybot3000
14-02-2009, 09:33 PM
hey im tryin to reinstall xp on a laptop but it stops and says it cant find a hard disk. From what ive read its a sata issue, not bein natively supported.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows/resolving-setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-during-windows-xp-installation/

i tried the above approach but i cant find any drivers when it says i should.

my system is running vista, dont know if that matters but thats the operating system im trying the nlite thing on

Any ideas how i can get xp install to find the hard disk? or how i find the drivers for nlite

Speedy Gonzales
14-02-2009, 09:38 PM
You need the SATA drivers from the mobo / laptop maker's site

You probably need a floppy as well to extract them to

Or change it to IDE mode in the BIOS. Just dont change it back to SATA mode in the BIOS after you reinstall. It may crash

I dont think you can use Nlite on Vista to make an XP cd. You need XP. Vlite is for Vista not Nlite

hueybot3000
14-02-2009, 09:44 PM
thanks for that, will it make a difference to speed or anything though?

Speedy Gonzales
14-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Wouldnt have a clue.

I've never had to install SATA drivers. Even tho I'm using a SATA hdd

Probably because its on IDE mode in the BIOS

Still loads fast enough for me

hueybot3000
14-02-2009, 09:51 PM
ahk cool, i changed it to ide anyway and its working now

Thanks Speedy! there should be a counter at the bottom of the forum showing how many problems youve solved

Speedy Gonzales
14-02-2009, 09:54 PM
lol no probs :)

Blam
14-02-2009, 10:11 PM
IIRC AHCI configuration is supposed be a bit faster:)

pcuser42
15-02-2009, 07:16 AM
You need the SATA drivers from the mobo / laptop maker's site

You probably need a floppy as well to extract them to

Or change it to IDE mode in the BIOS. Just dont change it back to SATA mode in the BIOS after you reinstall. It may crash

I dont think you can use Nlite on Vista to make an XP cd. You need XP. Vlite is for Vista not Nlite

I've used nLite to modify XP CDs on Vista, and it works fine. vLite is for modifying Vista DVDs. :)