PDA

View Full Version : Big problem - just built a PC but it doesn't start

vladiator
14-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Hi all

I am sorry for a long email, but I want to be descriptive so that you may have a better idea of what maybe wrong.

Yesterday and today I was putting together my PC (for the first time ever). Yesterday, I only had time to put in my motherboard (Asus M3A78-EM), CPU (AMD Phenom 2), RAM (Corsair 2gb x 2), Cooler Master eXtreme Power 650W and HDD (Samsung HD501LJ Hard Disk Drive, 500GB, 7200rpm). I use my LCD Acer TV as my monitor. Even though I didn't have DVD Rom installed at the time, I decided to switched on the system. It worked -- I could enter BIOS. Then, I just shut it down using the power button.

Today I opened the case, disconnected all cables and added a DVD ROM and another HDD -- both from my 4 y.o. Acer Aspire T620 desktop. Then I reconnected the cables:

- the main power and 4-pin power to the motherboard
- another 4-pin power cable to the motherboard that goes into top left corner
- cables from the power supply to DVD ROM, both HDDs, and case fan.
- SATA 1 and SATA 2 for my HDDs
- IDE for DVD ROM
- connected cables for reset, power LED, HDD LED
- USB, 1394, Audio cables
- the cable from case fan that goes to MoBo.

Basically did everything what I did yesterday, except I now have a DVD ROM, and another HDD.

I connected it all to my house's power plug, connected the monitor (i.e. my TV), pressed the power button...and my computer makes the noise as if it is working but nothing is happening. I then decided to turn it on with the case door opened and saw that my CPU and power supply's fans are rotating. I can also open my DVD Rom. Some green light also appears somewhere in the lower left corner. But my monitor is blank and tells me there is no signal. I tried to reconnect my monitor, but it does not improve anything. I tried to disconnect the second HDD and leave the original one -- the way it was yesterday -- again nothing!

Since I am not that good with PCs, I ran out of ideas. Can anyone suggest anything?

vladiator
14-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Sorry, should add that I also added a PCI-e graphics card today.

wainuitech
14-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Without looking up the Board - did you use onboard Graphic yesterday ?

If so look in the manual, look to see if a jumper is on the board to reset the BIOS back to default - once done try again. IF you booted with onboard graphics and then added a Video Card, it may still be trying to boot from the onboard -- Just a beginners trick - make sure if it has onboard graphics that the monitor is in fact plugged into the Graphic card.

Edited: just looked up the board specs - it does have onboard - try removing the graphic card and make see if it boots from onboard - Also what graphic card Do you have ???

Some require an additional power source/lead from the PSU, its a 6 pin plug normally, if this is not plugged it the card wont boot.

vladiator
14-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Hi wainuitech.

You were absolutely right! -- the problem was that I added a gfx card today. I removed it, and everything worked. It is Palit 512 Ge9500. I looked at it, and don't see where a power cable would connect. What can I do to be able to use it?

hueybot3000
14-02-2009, 06:18 PM
should be a 6 pin socket on the back of the card

wainuitech
14-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Just looked on the Customer Asus Board / PC i Have here, it doesn't have onboard Graphics, but I suspect it will be close to the same.

With onboard Graphics, reboot - hit delete to enter the BIOS - Press F1 ( no pun intended from this site ;) ) look for reset default - possible F5 - reset the Bios to default, save and exit out of the BIOS. Stop the PC from rebooting.

Install the Graphic Card - make sure its clipped in snug, attach the monitor to the Card - reboot - hopefully it will load from the Card now.

Edited; if it still wont boot - remove the card again, boot from onboard into the BIOS / Advanced have a look at your manual that came with the board, page 2-26 is where you need to be, to check the Graphic Settings are right. cant look as I dont have one of those boards to confirm.

not all cards have the power socket, if it does it will be on the back of the card, or some have it on the top.