PDA

View Full Version : Cropping videos - 4:3 to 16:9

wratterus
14-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Hi all.

I've got a bit of a dilemma here. :p

I've got about a thousand music videos, of which approx half are widescreen, but a lot of those ones have been ripped in letterbox format, eg with the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

This wasn't an issue until I recently got a widescreen telly.

Obviously the videos play with black bars the whole way around the video, which is annoying. I use VLC media player to crop while playing, but doing that for every video is also annoying.

I use virtualdub to crop the black bars out, but doing that 700+ times is going to be very time consuming, and getting it to encode in XviD so the video doesn't unnecessarily increase in size seems to be difficult to get to work at the same time as cropping, ie I need to do each video twice, first to crop then to encode as it errors trying to do both at once.

Does anyone know of any software (wouldn't even mind paying) that will do this easily without increasing the file size of the video hugely, or even if its possible to write some kind of script for virtualdub.

Thanks!

Metla
14-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Virtualdub has the ability to cue jobs, so you can line em all and go to bed.

wratterus
14-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Looking into that now... chur.

wratterus
17-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Any other ideas?

davidmmac
17-02-2009, 10:22 AM
I've got cyberlink power cinema (not the best I know), but it has this thing called clpv, which is a setting you can turn on, and it automatically adjusts video from 4:3 to 16:9, and vice versa.

jwil1
17-02-2009, 11:41 AM
ffmpeg can do that I think.