PDA

View Full Version : Sunbelt Personal Firewall

timmy5953
13-02-2009, 11:19 PM
I recently installed Sunbelt Personal Firewall (SPF) after learning that Windows Defender is barely tolerable as a Firewall. SPF seemed to be the most favoured free firewall on this forum.
But i think its too complicated for a non technical user. For example, when i try to load some legit sites (like RaboPlus) all i get is a note "Ad blocked here by SPF" and a blank page... So i open up SPF with the aim of allowing all data at the selected site to be loaded. But the jargon used in the comprehensive sections & tabs in SPF are unfathomable to me. Should i try to find a friendlier (free) firewall, or attempt to slog thru the mystery of SP?F

Blam
13-02-2009, 11:27 PM
I personally reckon Comodo is best. But it's a bit hard to configure first off.
You can try it out.

Blam

PPp
14-02-2009, 12:35 PM
I had the same problem with SPF and ended up with PC Tools Firewall plus. Its really a no hassels firewall and passed all the GRC.com tests OK.
I don't play online games or download from questionable sites so it seems OK for my needs. Anyone else tried it?

pctek
14-02-2009, 12:47 PM
SPF seemed to be the most favoured free firewall on this forum.

You sure? The number one recommendation here is Comodo.

I'd use Online Armor.

pkm
14-02-2009, 12:52 PM
This is why the firewall in XP is the way it is-it doesnt ask you anything.

I had exactly the same thing - kerio by default blocks redirects and stops processes. However,once you have set it up I think its more powerful that a 'one size fits all dont ask you anything' one.

Very little mystery once you know how. Ive used kerio for ages. It sounds like comodo is worthwhile,might give ti a go

Theres always a compromise between ease of use and security.

Go to web>advertisements > untick enable web filtering.

Speedy Gonzales
14-02-2009, 12:56 PM
XP's firewall doesnt ask you anything, because it doesnt block anything going out

PPp
14-02-2009, 01:35 PM
I did a little research and came across this site http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php which seems to be a pretty serious and independent site.