PDA

View Full Version : virtual pc/box

GameJunkie
13-02-2009, 08:19 PM
does this take up a lot of resources on a pc, cpu etc?
thinking about installing it and trying linux
im new to this virtual stuff so ideas/comments welcome

Speedy Gonzales
13-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Run it from the cd, if you want to test Ubuntu.

I dont think you have to install it, to see what its like

Depends what options you select on how much it'll use

somebody
13-02-2009, 08:47 PM
does this take up a lot of resources on a pc, cpu etc?
thinking about installing it and trying linux
im new to this virtual stuff so ideas/comments welcome

If you have a fairly recent PC, then you'll be fine. It's certainly one of the safest ways to test out Linux and other operating systems, becasue if you stuff up, you can just delete the virtual machine and start again - without damaging your "proper" system.

Blam
13-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Or-for ubuntu you can just use WUBI:D

Virtual Box is best VM app IMHO....

Blam

mikebartnz
13-02-2009, 10:22 PM
It is a great way of playing around with different OS's. It beats running from CD as you can set it up like you want it.
I'm using VirtualBox under PClinuxOS2007 and have tinkered with some interesting OS's like ReactOS and MenuetOS. It is also very good for testing purposes like checking websites against different setups and programs under different setups.
The other thing is you can create snapshots of a setup so it is easy to revert if things go haywire.
I only have a Duron1300 with 512MB and don't find things too bad. Obviously I'm not trying to run Vista or anything like that.

GameJunkie
13-02-2009, 10:27 PM
i've installed virtualbox and am burning ubuntu to disc, so will give these two a go at some point.

thanks for all your ideas

GameJunkie

somebody
13-02-2009, 10:31 PM
i've installed virtualbox and am burning ubuntu to disc, so will give these two a go at some point.

thanks for all your ideas

GameJunkie

If you have the ISO image of Ubuntu, just mount the image.

GameJunkie
13-02-2009, 10:38 PM
i have the ISO image of 8.04, couldnt i use virtualdrive pro for that>?

Blam
13-02-2009, 10:47 PM
You can mount if with any virtual disc software.

I personally use poweriso and daemon tools

somebody
13-02-2009, 10:51 PM
You can mount if with any virtual disc software.

I personally use poweriso and daemon tools

You don't need to. In VirtualBox, start a VM, then go to Devices->Mount CD/DVDROM->CD/DVDROM Image and just select your ISO image.

Blam
13-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Oops, sorry. Thats what I meant:p

It getting late:p I better go to bed....

mikebartnz
13-02-2009, 11:05 PM
i have the ISO image of 8.04, couldn't i use virtualdrive pro for that>?
In the setup just make the cd point to the image. It's all done within Virtualbox
You will see how in the snapshot I took.

GameJunkie
13-02-2009, 11:17 PM
cheers mike, will look at creating the virtual machine tomorow.

will let you guys know how it goes.

btw, if i choose to get rid of VirtualBox the space for the hdd space it needs will go back to the vista partition?

somebody
14-02-2009, 08:13 AM
cheers mike, will look at creating the virtual machine tomorow.

will let you guys know how it goes.

btw, if i choose to get rid of VirtualBox the space for the hdd space it needs will go back to the vista partition?

When you create a virtual machine, it creates a .vhd file which is the machine's "hard disk". That file shows up in your Vista system as just another normal file, but as far as the virtual machine is concerned, it's a "real" hard disk.

After you uninstall Virtualbox, you will need to delete the virtual disk images - which usually live in C:\Users\<your username>\.Virtualbox\

GameJunkie
14-02-2009, 10:11 AM
thanks for that somebody, what i wanted to know :thanks:

GameJunkie
14-02-2009, 02:14 PM
just a quick question, when i start up virtualbox and run ubuntu it gives me the option to run it to try it out or install. am i correct to say that selecting install will install inside VB and not vista.

mikebartnz
14-02-2009, 03:01 PM
just a quick question, when i start up virtualbox and run ubuntu it gives me the option to run it to try it out or install. am i correct to say that selecting install will install inside VB and not vista.
Yes you are right.

GameJunkie
14-02-2009, 03:10 PM
cheers mike