PDA

View Full Version : ATM_thefts attachment

Robin S_
13-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Yesterday my wife was sent an attachment called ATM_thefts-1.pps. It came from an acquaintance that she considers to be rather computer savvy. It is a Powerpoint slideshow that purports to show how scammers can place a gizmo in an ATM that allows them to steal a person's credit card and then trick the owner into revealing the PIN. My suspicions were initially aroused by the final frame - "Send this message to friends and family immediately". I then noticed that the 'Barclays' logo that appears in all the pictures (giving the impression that the sequence was filmed in a Barclay's Bank ATM) was pasted into every picture. Further, there is nothing anywhere to indicate who made or issued the
flick, which has been around since last April at least and possibly longer. It strikes me as being bogus but although I have searched the net on it and found numerous hits nothing indicates that it is a hoax - most hits are from people who have received/found it and recommend that everyone reads it. The info may be genuine but the whole thing seems to me to be a crafty method to rapidly publicise an effective method to perpetrate a shonky fraud.

Any comments?

pkm
13-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Yesterday my wife was sent an attachment called ATM_thefts-1.pps. It came from an acquaintance that she considers to be rather computer savvy. It is a Powerpoint slideshow that purports to show how scammers can place a gizmo in an ATM that allows them to steal a person's credit card and then trick the owner into revealing the PIN. My suspicions were initially aroused by the final frame - "Send this message to friends and family immediately". I then noticed that the 'Barclays' logo that appears in all the pictures (giving the impression that the sequence was filmed in a Barclay's Bank ATM) was pasted into every picture. Further, there is nothing anywhere to indicate who made or issued the
flick, which has been around since last April at least and possibly longer. It strikes me as being bogus but although I have searched the net on it and found numerous hits nothing indicates that it is a hoax - most hits are from people who have received/found it and recommend that everyone reads it. The info may be genuine but the whole thing seems to me to be a crafty method to rapidly publicise an effective method to perpetrate a shonky fraud.

Any comments?

just a dumb viral?

1. Make sure it wasnt an automated mail (ie this persons account was compromised,and the text in it is personalised for you)

2. Social engineering is used to hook people to phish them- whether its Obama or Aussie fires or ATMs.

3. I dont open office files for security reasons.If its that important the email itself will tell me what I need to know,and pictures can be attached,or links to them online.
4. Text only mail is meant to be safer.

beeswax34
13-02-2009, 08:22 PM

Any comments?

That whole gizmo in the ATM thing is outdated now since most ATM's in NZ are now fitted with those 'green sleeve' protection devices.