PDA

View Full Version : Dual channel DDR problem

Bryan
13-02-2009, 05:01 PM
I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 motherboard that supports dual channel memory. The memory can be double or single sided.

For sometime I have had two sticks of DDR400 512mg memory set up in channels A and C. This gives a gig of memory. One is single sided, the other double sided.

I have lashed out and bought two new DDR400 512mg sticks to add to my system. These are both single sided.

I installed the two new sticks in B & D but these just hang the system, ie. it won't boot.

Upon removing the two new sticks, the system booted. I then installed just the two new sticks in A & C and the system booted. In putting the two old sticks in B & D the system again refused to boot.

I did notice that when the sticks were in B & D there seems to be a slight movement in the seating, ie. they waggle a very small amount.

Is there some setting I need to do to the BIOS for the two new sticks to be recognised; my manual says they would be automatically detected, or would it seem that I may have a board with two faulty connectors?

If two faulty connectors could they be fixed?

Driftwood
13-02-2009, 06:30 PM
I think I would try the memory in A & B or C & D.
Regarding the movement in the slots. Is the movement the same with all the sticks?

Speedy Gonzales
13-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Only thing I could see on the GB site about the ram, was

If you use all 4 slots, it'll run at 333. This is the limitation of this mobo / amd systems

And make sure you use the supported ram listed for this mobo