PDA

View Full Version : New Computer or modernise the old one

Ron24
13-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Have had this computer for about 4 years and never had a problem with it.Now it's running pretty slow and only has a forty gig HD. I am not a gaming fan, used mostly for email, photo's and generally downloading from the net, so I want speed.
Looking for help in deciding to buy a new box or have a tech expert upgrade the old one and transfer all my stuff over as it will be beyond my expertise.
Would like to stick with XP and don't want to have a lot of new learning to do as I am pretty ancient.
Any help appreciated Ron..
PS. Are these adds for speeding up the computer any good..?

stormdragon
13-02-2009, 03:51 PM
What's the specs of the current system?

Don't follow random ad's claiming to speed up your system they often do more harm then good.

utopian201
13-02-2009, 04:39 PM
What do you mean it is running slow? As in running slow in general (that is, it was always slow), or running slower than when you first got it?

If it was once fast, a quick clean up should help significantly. Also how much memory does the computer have? Loading a lot of programs at startup in the taskbar can slow things down.

pctek
13-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Have had this computer for about 4 years and never had a problem with it.Now it's running pretty slow . I am not a gaming fan, used mostly for email, photo's and generally downloading from the net, so I want speed.

Pointless.

CHeck if it has at least 512mb RAM, if not add some more.

And back up all your stuff then do a fresh install of Windows and everything.
They get bloat and cleanups only help to a point.

It will be back to its speedy self and you'll wonder why you even considered a new one.

Ron24
13-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the replies..
I have a 1.5 AMD processor, 1000 Ram, Windows XPpro SP2.

Slow to start up and slow as hell to get through the ads on Press1 now.

Would require a tech to reinstall windows etc as it would be beyond me.

Maybe cheaper to get a tech to do the whole thing for me than buying a new box.

Blam
13-02-2009, 06:08 PM
A reinstall is quite simple. Just click next, next, type in your key.....

Check if your motherboard supports newer AM2+ cpus, then you can upgrade it cheaply.

feersumendjinn
13-02-2009, 07:32 PM
A reinstall is quite simple. Just click next, next, type in your key.....

Check if your motherboard supports newer AM2+ cpus, then you can upgrade it cheaply.

It could just be full of malware, do a HiJackThis scan and post the result here, so we can have a look.
Also try downloading Malwarebytes and doing a full scan with that.
http://malwarebytes.org/

Fully reinstalling is not quite that simple/easy, you then need to reinstall your motherboard and hardware drivers (so the operating system can communicate with everything), that is the tricky bit; is the best way to clean it out though :).
A repair install may help, see this
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
shows how to full-install too (listed on left).

Is the CPU an AthlonXP or Sempron chip?, if AthlonXP the socket it fits into is a 462 pin and wont accept AM2; Sempron is a different story.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sempron

If you get somebody else to do it, backup your data yourself (then you know you've got all your 'stuff') to an external Hdd or flashdrive/cd/dvd; alternatively get GeeksOnWheels (http://www.geeksonwheels.co.nz/) or similar to come to you.

pkm
13-02-2009, 07:49 PM
I find myself formatting several times a year.It keeps XP very fast.
I would backup photos anyway!

Also consider an alternative browser which has addons to block flash,javascript or off site images. Just doing this can greatly improve browsing experience.

minster
14-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Ron,
Formatting is quite easy ... Yes!
But be aware that before this is started you must have your original XP serial.
Also a copy of your drivers plus backups of all data/photos etc on external media.

Even if you were to buy a new pc then all data would need to be transferred which may move infected or unneeded files from old pc to the new one.

Where in New Zealand are you?

Ron24
14-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks for all the advice, I have decided to keep my old computer and will ring a local tech on Monday to come and do all the things necessary to make it go quicker.
I am on Aucklands north shore and the local paper has adds for help with the things that I require.
My birthday soon and it was a tossup between a new camera and a box for the computer, you guys have helped me to decide, so thanks to all..Ron..