PDA

View Full Version : Black screen on start Windows XP

bigtrouble
13-02-2009, 01:53 PM
I can start my computer only in safe mode. If I start it normally it goes through all the motions but all I get is a black screen. I get all the start up sounds though?:help:

wainuitech
13-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Welcome to PF1 -

Restart the Computer in safe mode, - keep tapping F8 on the keyboard, when the black screen appears, using the arrow keys select safe mode - let it start - once started, click start/All Programs/ Accessories/System Tools/ System Restore - IF it opens, select an earlier date before the problem happened (restore points will be in bold) - follow the prompts through - it will reboot - hopefully normally.

bigtrouble
13-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Have tried system restore with no luck

wainuitech
13-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Hmmmmm Ok you can try starting in safe mode, remove the graphic Drivers, reboot, it should pick up the drivers again - OR start and ask for the driver CD/ Location of drivers.

IF it does, cancel out and reinstall the graphics.

QUESTION: What were you doing before this happened, Install anything, Updates, Remove anything ????

bigtrouble
13-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the welcome, yes just installed windows update. How do I remove the graphic drivers, also I have a NVIDIA 9600GT video card.

wainuitech
13-02-2009, 03:39 PM
two ways to remove the Graphic Drivers -

The reason I'm suspecting its graphics Drivers is if it starts in safe Mode and displays OK, ( but crappy) that runs off the basic Default Windows Drivers, in normal mode it runs from nVidias.

in safe mode Right click my computer/Properties/ hardware Tab/Device Manager - Expand out the display drivers, ( out of interest - check to see if it has Microsoft corp behind it) MS may have updated the Drivers causing problems. Right click / Uninstall/remove --- Reboot PC.

OR Control Panel/ Add remove programs, Scroll down till you locate the nVidia Graphic Drivers, uninstall.

What you can also try , is in add/remove programs, up top tick the box that says shows updates - then on the right on the drop down box select "Sort by Date last used" --- Locate the latest windows updates by date and uninstall them, reboot and see what happens.

If it boots up OK but asks for drivers, cancel out of it - download Driver Sweeper (http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)_d1655.html) - run and tick nVidia Display(only) run and remove the left overs from the nVidia drivers - after rebooting normally, reinstall the original Graphic Drivers that came with the card.

bigtrouble
13-02-2009, 07:50 PM
thanks heaps, sorted now.

wainuitech
13-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Glad it sorted it -

Just be careful with windows updates, its not advisable to allow driver updates, if you want to update drivers, use the manufactures ones from their site.