PDA

View Full Version : recovery of deleted files (forensics)

kennybouy
13-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Can some one give me a name and number of a good data (forensics) recovery company for my lap top. Had files deleted with out permission so I need to get these back. Any suggestions? ta Forgot too mention, that would be in Wellington.

GameJunkie
13-02-2009, 01:08 PM
try this (http://www.recuva.com/download)

pctek
13-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Forensics will change $100's if not $1000's.
Just use a file recovery program.
And always Backup - then you wouldn't be in this situation now!!

wainuitech
13-02-2009, 01:51 PM
If you run your own Recovery program its best to remove the drive from the Laptop and install on another PC as a slave, run the recovery program from that PC.

If you put any programs on the drive that has the data deleted it may over write the data you are trying to recover.

If its been deleted - have you looked in the recycle bin first - or has it been cleaned from there as well ?

sroby
13-02-2009, 01:55 PM
If you are serious about recovering deleted files, turn off the laptop NOW

Anything you do on the laptop may overwrite the space where the deleted files
were making that file unrecoverable.
DO NOT download anything to the c:, dont write any files to the c:

wratterus
13-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Last time I saw a PC go to forensics it was over $1300 ...

GetDataBack is also a good program.

As has already been mentioned, dont use the laptop at all.

Sweep
13-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Try these people:-
http://www.datarecovery.co.nz/

BTW I just emptied my recycle bin and downloaded Recuva and installed it.

Then deleted two files from a directory on my D:/ drive and emptied recycle bin again.

Then asked Recuva to find the two files I deleted and pointed it at the directory. Files not found so I would say that Recuva does a not good job.
These were both downloaded EXE files I had no further use for so I am not disappointed.

Agent_24
13-02-2009, 03:37 PM
I've always used Filescavenger. Very good. But like others said, do NOT use the drive. Scan it with a file recovery utility from a different PC.

wainuitech
13-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Most of the forensics places go something like this---

$80 + to just look at the drive - then sit down for the recovery cost, as Pctek mentioned $$$$$$$$$$

Personally I use Getdataback -- its not free, but it works well. BUT NEVER install on the same drive you want to recover from.

kennybouy
13-02-2009, 03:58 PM
This was my brothers laptop. He died in an accident and his business partner broke into his flat and we heard from an aid that she had the LT checked and some files and emails deleted to her advantage. Legally we now need these files to stop her nonsense. Seeing as how the estate is paying, we have decided to send it up to Auckland to have it professionally seen too. Thanks every one for your suggestions. Appreciated.

wratterus
13-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Very sorry to hear about your brother. Best of luck getting back what you need.

They are low scum, people that take advantage of this type of situation. I've seen it before too. :(