PDA

View Full Version : Modem picks Vista as its fave system

LynX
12-02-2009, 04:46 PM
I have got a modem powered by CONEXANT drivers (ubuntu's scanmodem told me that). And it doesn't seem to be working very well now.

I have Ubuntu/Vista/XP Triple Boot system (which can be simplified down to Ubuntu/Vista dualboot). When I try to connect to internet in XP, weird things happen. Sometimes my modem makes strange noises: instead of the normal handshaking noises, the noise sounded like normal "blank" tone, except with very short silences in between, as if "cutting" the blank tone. It doesn't dial, so XP responds me with "no dial tone" a while later. Same thing happens in Ubuntu.

What's really weird is that OCCASIONALLY the modem DOES work! Maybe not in Ubuntu, but in XP it definitely works well. The normal handshake noise, everything. I'm very annoyed at this fact, as it forces me to restart in order to check PressF1 forum for any replies:badpc:.

Something else you may like to know: under Vista my modem is registered as "In-build CX11252-41z Modem", while in XP it's just "PCI SoftV92 modem" (I'll check). Ubuntu calls it something like "hsfmodem_7.68.00.14" (I think). A copy of dial-up log under Ubuntu can be provided as requested (the relatively successful one).

There's also a driver under Vista's updates: it's called PCI SoftV92 Modem (must be Vista's version).

Sorry for my noob description, but any answers appreciated.

LynX
12-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Forgot to mention, the modem ALWAYS work under Vista. That's why the post is called "Modem picks Vista as its fave system"

Renmoo
12-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Have you made sure that there isn't a tick for "Run Script" under "Security" tab of your modem properties?

Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Right-click your Modem, click Properties.

Have you tried surfing to Windows Update to see if there are latest modem drivers available for download?

Cheers :)

LynX
12-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Actually, I thought about putting "Run Script" on just to see what is going on. But no luck on that.

About the drivers, could it because that Vista's "mistaken" driver can result in the modem not recognised in other systems? There is one under Windows Update in Vista. Should I download that? Could it render my Vista system modem unusable?

Thanks for the fast replies though.

LynX
12-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Actually, I thought about putting "Run Script" on just to see what is going on. But no luck on that.

About the drivers, could it because that Vista's "mistaken" driver can result in the modem not recognised in other systems? There is one under Windows Update in Vista. Should I download that? Could it render my Vista system modem unusable?

Thanks for the fast replies though.

Renmoo
12-02-2009, 09:32 PM
I just noticed one thing: You didn't mention what happens when you try to dial-up using Windows Vista.

I don't think Vista's so-called wrongly perceived driver is the cause as the driver is localised within the respective Operating System. Just like how you need driver X to run an nVidia graphics card properly on Linux while driver Y to run the same graphics under Windows. At the same time, driver X can't interfere with how the graphics is running in Windows.

What's the model number of your Connexant modem? I am going to rip out the modem PCI card from my home computer at the end of this month, so if the current modem card is a dud, you can have mine :)

LynX
13-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Dialing up in Vista is what you'd normally expect when you connect to internet via dial up. Hankshake noise ==> Verifying password and username ==> Connecting to Network (takes a rather long time, but I think that's just the way it is with Kiwi Online). Also, the Vista's driver uses the internal speakers on the modem for handshake noises, while the one on the Windows Update use the speakers to play them out, together with sounds, music, etc. Because I can't really figure out what you mean by "what happens".

The other thing, uh, how can I identify my modem's version? I bought my modem from some place for a cheap price, and I don't know about its modem number. Besides, my current modem is not working badly or things like that; it's just not working well under Ubuntu 8.04 (which happens to most Winmodems anyway).