PDA

View Full Version : explorer.exe is causing problems?

LynX
12-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Hi everyone. Although I use Vista now, I still kept wondering why my XP runs so badly.

When I boot into XP, clicked on my account, it displays "loading your personal settings" or something like that on the Welcome screen... for a LONG time. When the Welcome screen goes out, the desktop is blank (as blank as you disabled explorer.exe: no desktop icons, no start menu, nothing to do). A while later, the explorer.exe loads up (FINALLY!). What's the delay here?

On another day, when there's no delays like in the previous case, the system starts up normally... until I figured out that my Start Menu is not responding to my mouse. The start menu will recover after a minute or so, but no other computer behaves like that! WTF?

Possible causes:

1) After a recent HijackThis check, the Windows XP boot screen takes one revolution and a bit (of the fascinating blue bar) to get over with. Could that be that I repaired/removed something so that certain items start loading while I'm logged in as opposed to in the boot screen?

2) I have a pack of computer security software that covers almost everything (Rising Antivirus, Rising Firewall, Rising Internet Security), but it seemed like is slowed the boot-up time for Vista slightly. And yes, both of Antivirus and Firewall loads upon startup. Could they be the cause? And if they are, can you guys please recommend some FREE alternatives?

Helps appreciated.

Renmoo
12-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Free alternatives:
Antivirus - Avast Antivirus
Firewall - Comodo Internet Security
Malware - Spybot Search & Destroy, Lavasoft Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes

Have you tried System Restore on the XP to see if you can reverse the signs of aging? :p

Cheers :)

LynX
12-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Probably not, because I can't remember what changes did I do to the poor XP. I don't fancy system restores either, since this problem had quite a bit history attached to it.

Thanks:thanks, but how's about I remove the antivirus first?

Blam
12-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Get revo uninstaller to remove unneeded programs.
Also try unticking "Automatically search for network folders and printers" in the view tab in folder opinions

LynX
12-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Get revo uninstaller to remove unneeded programs.
Also try unticking "Automatically search for network folders and printers" in the view tab in folder opinions

1) Does Revo Uninstaller uninstalls hidden programs, or is it able to exterminate irremovable programs? I doubt whether there are any unneeded programs.
2) Okay, I'll try it. Except my PC isn't connected to any network (but I left the "Local Area Connection" on). I do have a printer, though (via USB).

Also, there are tons of startup accelerators (e.g. Adobe Startup Accelerator, Autodesk Startup Accelerator...), as well as GoogleUpdateNotifier and some other things of that kind. Can I disable them all?

Thanks for the reply though, Blam. :thanks

Renmoo
12-02-2009, 07:36 PM
2) Okay, I'll try it. Except my PC isn't connected to any network (but I left the "Local Area Connection" on). I do have a printer, though (via USB).
Hence the suggestion. If Windows is not connected to any network in the first place and yet it is still adamant that there are supposed connections, it will persistently search for one, thus resulting in the delay.

Cheers :)