PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Folder thumbnail images

dugimodo
12-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Hey guys, I have been scratching my head about a small annoyance on my pc. Somehow the thumbnail image for my folders has been globally changed to the same image and I can find no way to remove it.

Whenever I use the thumbnail view in any directory they all have the same picture on them - and it's a picture I'd rather not have on my folders.

I can manually go to the folder customise menu and change the image one folder at a time, but can't seem to alter mutliple folders at once, even ticking the apply to sudirectories etc has no effect on the image for any but the current directory (it does change the file types to picture, video etc ).

LynX
12-02-2009, 03:50 PM
You can try explorer window (press ALT key to show the XP style menus ==> Tools ==> Folder Options ==> View tab ==> tick "always show icons, not thumbnails" (you can also try ticking "Display file icon on thumbnails"). Click apply, and then Apply to Folders (on the top). Try it out and see.

dugimodo
12-02-2009, 04:09 PM
this is in windows XP, I can easily change the view to icons, list, etc - but whenever going back to the thumbnail's it's still the same old picture on all of them. Will try a global reset all folders, and failing that search for and delete the folder.gif files everywhere on my pc - ideas from googling, but was hopig someone recognised the problem

Blam
12-02-2009, 06:31 PM
System restore, or running ccleaner...IIRC one option in ccleaner is clear thumbnail cache?

dugimodo
13-02-2009, 08:59 AM
thanks for the suggestions, still no joy :crying

turned off the remember folder options and cache thumbnails settings - seemed to fix it but made the pc slow as it generates all the thumbnails again everytime you open a folder. Restoring default settings restored problem as well.

System restore is not really an option as I would lose too many recently installed programs.

planning a fresh install soon, if I can't fix this I'll wait til then.

Blam
13-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Disable thumbnails? Or just not use them?

dugimodo
15-02-2009, 12:59 AM
I like the thumbnail view for some things, prefer list view for others. Mostly just an annoyance.

I fixed it eventually by doing a search for thumbs.db and deleted all of them, there was a lot of them! Made opening directories a bit slower initially, but sorted it out. I still have no clue how it happened in the first place.

Blam
15-02-2009, 10:53 AM
I know exactly why you had the problem-You were running windows:p