PDA

View Full Version : Changing DVD player

advena
12-02-2009, 10:57 AM
I have an NEC Powermate running XP. It has a DVD recorder / player which plays music CDs just fine but not DVDs. It may have always been like that nut I’ve only recently tried to play DVDs.

Have done the usual troubleshooting, checking drivers, etc. Nothing helps.

However I do have another DVD R/RW available (Samsung DVD+R/RW Drive model SH-W162) which I could exchange it for.

My questions – are they likely to be compatible? Is this a sensible idea?

If it seems sensible is it a straightforward task or is there something I ought to know before I start?

I have installed a CD drive into another machine some years ago in the ‘good old days’ when new computers came with manuals.

Any and all advice appreciated – thanks.

CYaBro
12-02-2009, 11:00 AM
What happens when you try and play a DVD?
Can you read the contents of the disc in 'My Computer'?

You may just not have the correct software to play a DVD.
You could try VLC Media Player.

Speedy Gonzales
12-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Any DVD writer should work. Just hook it up, like the previous burner

What are you using to play DVD's??

What does it do, when you try and play a DVD??

Nothing?? Does it bring up an error?

Just make sure if there's something else on the same IDE connection (if its IDE), that theyre jumpered properly. Or you'll have probs

advena
12-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks to you both for replies so far.

When I try to play a DVD the DVD drive churns away for a while, the DVD player light flashes off and on, the computer power light flickery and everything on the machine comes not quite to a standstill but to a very slow schedule - eventually the DVD player gives up and stops trying.

I can sometimes see a CD symbol on the desktop with the cursor but not often. No, it doesn't bring up an error message or any message at all and No, I cannot read the contents on "My Computer" as, when I try to bring "My Computer" up, the main part of the screen is blank (just during this process).

I have googled VLC Media Player and will download that and try it out. Will let you know how that goes. Thanks again.

Blam
12-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Its happened to me before. Try reinstalling the drivers.

Also try a repair install

gary67
12-02-2009, 07:23 PM
four screws and two plugs later and the new one will be installed just check whether it has SATA cables (narrow red ones) or IDE (wide ones) and that it has the matching connections on your motherboard. I had a powermate well still have the case the insides have been rebuilt