PDA

View Full Version : How does System Restore really work?

tuiruru
12-02-2009, 08:23 AM
When I've got a few new programs I want to try out I always create a restore point before installing them.. Generally speaking I try to curb my enthusiasm, install the first one, muck around with it for a couple of days to see if there are any issues and then move on to the next one. I was wondering, however, what happens if I install three or four programs one after the other (with a restore point in between each one). I'm using Vista Home Premium SP 1 and I know if I install a prog and then go to Sys Rest again it gives me the option of uninstalling it which presumably sets things back the way they were. But, if I install progs A, B, C and D and then decide to go back and reverse the install point that I created before installing Prog A, will that stuff up all the settings for progs B, C and D?.

Also, if I decide that prog B is creating a problem should I roll back the restore points for progs C and D first?

Thanks

pctek
12-02-2009, 08:50 AM
if I install progs A, B, C and D and then decide to go back and reverse the install point that I created before installing Prog A, will that stuff up all the settings for progs B, C and D?.

Yes.

dugimodo
12-02-2009, 01:16 PM
I don't have much faith in system restore myself, when I muck up windows I do it properly and system restore has never helped me.

A better Idea is to turn it off and store an image of the OS partiton on a seperate drive, porgrams like acronis let you do incremental or differential backups meaning you don't have to create a whole new image everytime you want to back up your system.

:2cents:

Renmoo
12-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Also, if I decide that prog B is creating a problem should I roll back the restore points for progs C and D first?

You don't need to. When you turn back the time to before you installed Program B, System Restore would wipe out the program data for Program C and Program D as well.

Cheers :)

pcuser42
12-02-2009, 04:08 PM
System Restore is basically a snapshot of your system at a certain point in time, so if you install Program A and B, then restore to (say) a week ago, then Program A, B, and whatever else was put on there in between (except the [My] Documents folder) will disappear as well. :)

supersi
12-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Yup. Acronis is awsome. I've never lost my PC because of backing up to image with Acronis.

Ofthesea
12-02-2009, 09:52 PM
The standard vista system restore worked for me when I needed it, I didn't know there were any issues with it