PDA

View Full Version : Win7 install bombed out

linw
12-02-2009, 12:07 AM
It went right thru to the end then BSOD'ed, took a mem dump then reverted me back to the original Vista32. I have no idea what went wrong but it scared me a bit even though I have an image to revert to.

Fairly impressive how it got back to the original OS, though!

My setup should have been OK (X2 38000+, 2Gb RAM and over 20GB free space on C:).

Anyone else had this happen? OK, I can live with my Vista but it doesn't fill me with confidence about a later upgrade to W7.

beeswax34
12-02-2009, 01:23 AM
Well, more details would be nice like what did the BSOD say etc. You can't just blame W7 as it could be your machine/drivers or the way you were trying to install it.

JJJJJ
12-02-2009, 06:47 AM
Fairly impressive how it got back to the original OS, though!

My setup should have been OK (X2 38000+, 2Gb RAM and over 20GB free space on C:).

Anyone else had this happen? OK, I can live with my Vista but it doesn't fill me with confidence about a later upgrade to W7.

At a guess I'rd say 20 gigs was not enough

Myth
12-02-2009, 06:51 AM
At a guess I'rd say 20 gigs was not enoughAny OS that requires more than 10Gb must be loaded with a lot of sh|t

And according to what I have read, if the specs are good enough for Vista, they are good enough for Win7

wainuitech
12-02-2009, 08:33 AM
NOT a very good idea to install a Beta into Vista - being beta, its meant to be buggy, its time limited and expires on 1st August - meaning the PC simply wont run after that date, and you will more than likely have to do a complete reinstall of the previous OS any way - the Beta is NOT upgradeable to the final version.

You would be better off either installing W7 on another HDD, or partitioning off the current drive and Dual boot ( from either option of the two mentioned)

Microsofts Warning:
The Windows 7 Beta is a pre-release version of Windows. While we consider this a stable and high-quality beta, it's not the finished product. It could crash your computer or cause you to lose important files or information.

The Beta will stop working on August 1, 2009. To continue using your PC, please be prepared to reinstall a prior version of Windows or a subsequent release of Windows 7 before the expiration date. You won't be able to upgrade from the Beta to the final retail version of Windows 7.

Upgrading an OS from one version to another is ALWAYS a doggy operation, and doing it from beta is worse - its always FAR better to do a clean install.

So the fact the install Blue Screened may be a blessing.

I've installed W7 cleanly in 7-8 PC's of various configurations and power for testing - with no problems what so ever.

linw
12-02-2009, 08:34 AM
I didn't have time to see what the BSOD error was.

Microsoft says you need 16GB free so why wouldn't I have thought 20 was enough?

Who said I blamed win7? There is obviously something fundamentally wrong in my setup but till I find what it is, I am stymied with win7.

I will see if I can locate an install log.

wainuitech
12-02-2009, 09:20 AM
you didn't mentioned how you attempted the upgrade - if you booted from the DVD, and selected the upgrade option that may have been the problem.

Heres How MS say to do an upgrade - Note number 1 - Highlighted.

1. Insert the Windows 7 Beta installation disc you created in step 2 into your computer's DVD or CD drive. Important: Make sure to insert your installation disc with your current version of Windows running.
2.On the Install Windows page, click Install now.

3. On the Get important updates for installation page, we recommend getting the latest updates to help ensure a successful installation and protect your computer against security threats. You need an Internet connection to get installation updates.

4.On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms. (You must accept to continue the installation.)

5.On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Upgrade to begin the upgrade. You might see a compatibility report.

6.Follow the instructions.

linw
12-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks, Wainui, for your, as ever, excellent replies. I had realised that it expired on Aug 1st but envisaged re-installing Vista.

Inclined to agree that perhaps the BSOD was a blessing in disguise!

I did follow the instructions for running it from within Vista and it did get updates and it did do a compatibility test saying Widows Mail was gone and throwing doubt on my Canon S750 ptr.

I got worried from the first installation boot as I expected it to handle the restart itself but the BIOS asked to hit a key to boot from CD then it said something about a file missing and to ctrl-alt-del. Same thing again so next time I hit a key for the CD boot and it started the installation from scratch. I cancelled out of this and removed the CD and it booted and continued the install from where it left off. It was right at the end of installing services that it bombed.

Oh, well, my Vista is still running fine and I had an image of it if needed as well.

Think I will wait till it is released or take your advice and arrange a partition for a clean install.

Thanks again.

wainuitech
12-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Inclined to agree that perhaps the BSOD was a blessing in disguise! We are on the same track I think -- :thumbs: ( watch out for the Train :p )

What I was meaning about the comment was really if the W7 install had gone OK, then by August assuming MS have not got some sort of " carry on" Till W7 goes RTM, then a complete reinstall of Vista may be required.

Just a guess - but if it crashed on loading services its possible that W7 spat the dummy on services that were not there compared to Vista Eg the Email.

I like playing with Beta's trying to break them - then when you do you go OOPS! wont do that again - :lol:

JJJJJ
12-02-2009, 04:32 PM
I like playing with Beta's trying to break them - then when you do you go OOPS! wont do that again - :lol:

Play with this and see what you come up with.

I Raptor2 300 gig hard disk divided into three drives
C: contains Win XP 32 bit
D: has Win 7 64 bit plus MS Flight sim x
E: Has ms flight sim x plus addons etc.

System runs perfectly with this setup.

PROBLEM: How to load addons to flight sim x on D: without stuffing up E:
Addons are auto install and no options on where to put them. They insist on going into E:

All I've managed to do is to get numerous duplicates on E: and a stuffed up registry.

autechre
13-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Upgrading MS OSes over the top of each other is never a good idea. Always best to clean install.

If you do want to play with Win7 and have a heap of RAM in your PC, try installing it in a VM. Get VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/) and install it in that. Runs ok and gives you a chance to check it out.

linw
13-02-2009, 03:06 PM
I've been meaning to try a VM setup for ages and now you have prodded me into doing it! Hey, this is great fun. Win7 is now running fine in a VM. Great for testing stuff, of course, so I will likely add other images as well.

Thanks - I am glad I got my A into gear!

Blam
13-02-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm running a W7 VM on an OCed E8400 with 4gb of RAM just fine;)

Its pretty fast, faster than what I'd expected

linw
13-02-2009, 05:32 PM
One thing I can't figure out, in spite of trying to make sense of the manual, is how to get access to a USB memory stick. They talk of USB filters but not how to find one!

JJJJJ
14-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Any OS that requires more than 10Gb must be loaded with a lot of sh|t

And according to what I have read, if the specs are good enough for Vista, they are good enough for Win7

My instalation of 7/64 says it is 22gigs