PDA

View Full Version : Computer slow to boot after installing external hard drive

Beemer
11-02-2009, 10:32 PM
I purchased a WD Elements 640GB external hard drive last year and installed it on my Compaq Presario desktop computer (running Visa Home Premium). I transferred heaps of photos and files onto it, but I'm finding my computer has been very slow to boot ever since. It used to take less than a minute but now it takes up to five minutes. Not only that, but I am also having trouble accessing what I've loaded on it, especially photo files. The photo files are quite large - some up to 4-5MB each - but I wouldn't think that would make any difference. I'm finding sometimes when I try and open a folder containing photos that it just freezes.

As you can imagine, I am not that thrilled to be having this trouble! It is likely to be the external hard drive or something else? My laptop fires up within seconds so I'm finding it really frustrating for the desktop to take so long to start and then to have trouble accessing the files anyway.

pctek
12-02-2009, 07:52 AM
Unplug it when you aren't transferring stuff.

Blam
12-02-2009, 07:52 AM
Is it set to boot from the laptop internal HDD in the bios?

Beemer
12-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks guys, wasn't sure if it would cause problems not being plugged in all the time.

Blam6 - it's not connected to the laptop, it's connected to the desktop.

And any ideas as to why I can't always open photos? Sometimes it just says "not responding" and other times it just sits there for ages and then nothing happens. (Although, having had HUGE trouble with this in recent months, I've just gone in and found I can open photos and files pretty quickly - so it's just the slow start time for the computer that seems to be the problem now!)

Blam
12-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Sorry then, I mean is it set to boot from the internal HDD as first priority in the Desktop bios?

Beemer
12-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Hi Blam6, you're talking to a novice here - how do I find out this info?

Blam
12-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Depending on your desktop brand/bios revision etc it is different.

Generally it should be like this:

Hold down F1/Del/Esc when computer starts booting up.

In the bios go to boot order/boot priority etc(navigate with arrow keys) then change it to Internal HDD first. The keys to change is is different for every bios, may be +/- or backspace etc. The keys are usually on the bottom.

Blam

Beemer
12-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks - I didn't have any trouble getting into the boot menu, but all it offered me was "choose a hard drive" so I selected the one that didn't say external or CDROM, but then I didn't have any other options. At the bottom the choices were the left and right arrows, enter and escape (I think), but nothing other than enter did anything. There was no option to choose boot order, and when I selected the main hard drive and hit enter, it still took 3 1/2 minutes to load to the desktop screen where I could click on things.

Blam
12-02-2009, 10:57 AM
So is internal HDD set to first priority?

Do you have any autorun programs on the external HDD?

Speedy Gonzales
12-02-2009, 11:03 AM
What about anti-virus programs??

Any installed and is it set to scan devices on startup??

If it is, disable the scanning option

Beemer
12-02-2009, 11:36 AM
I have Avast and none are set to scan on start up.

Blam, I'm assuming by choosing the internal HD that it is set to first priority? It didn't give me any option to choose this. As far as I know I don't have any autorun programs set to the external HD - I basically plugged it in and then copied files and images to it. It does still seem a little slow populating the folders of images when I open them, but it was working okay this morning when I opened and viewed them.

jwil1
12-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Have you tried unplugging it while your PC boots up, then plugging it in when you see your desktop?

Does this make it boot up faster?

Blam
12-02-2009, 01:07 PM
long shot-but lets see whats on your startup.

Download HijackThis and copy paste a log here

Beemer
12-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Here goes, will try unplugging and plugging in again after reboot to see if it is just as slow as well.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 12:08:28 p.m., on 19/08/2008
Platform: Windows Vista (WinNT 6.00.1904)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16711)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\hp\support\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\On-Screen OSD Indicator\OSD.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RtHDVCpl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Updater\GoogleUpdater.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe
C:\Windows\System32\mobsync.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\hp\kbd\kbd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Windows\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.stuff.co.nz/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_NZ&c=71&bd=Presario&pf=desktop
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_NZ&c=71&bd=Presario&pf=desktop
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Int ernet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\2.1.615.5858\sw g.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\hp\support\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KbdStub.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OsdMaestro] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\On-Screen OSD Indicator\OSD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvSvc] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\nvsvc.dll,nvsvcStart
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\Windows\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Google Updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Google\Google Updater\GoogleUpdater.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\Windows\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~3\GOEC62~1.DLL
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Adobe Systems - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: ##Id_String1.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762# # (Bonjour Service) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Unknown owner - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: GoogleDesktopManager - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - c:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - c:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: RoxMediaDB9 - Sonic Solutions - c:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\SharedCOM\RoxMediaDB9.exe
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - c:\Program Files\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe

--
End of file - 6920 bytes