PDA

View Full Version : Faulty NIC?

WarNox
11-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Hey!

Before I go back to the shop and start accusing people of selling me a faulty NIC I thought I'd run it past you guys first :)

1. I bought a gigabit NIC for a computer
2. Installed in in a PCI slot
3. Computer picked it up and instelled driver fine
4. The lights come on on the NIC when network cable plugged in
5. No packets are EVER sent or received
6. Cannot obtain IP from DHCP

What I've tried:
-Tried DHCP and static (static with a crossover cable and a laptop)
-Disabling the onboard NIC in the BIOS
-Re-installing this NIC
-win sock repair thing (forgot actual name)
-tried cables that I know work
-pinging 127.0.0.1 works fine
-pinging computer hostname works fine (reply from 169....)

With all of the above the number of packets sent/received on the NIC remains 0!!!

Any ideas :) I'm all out...

Thanks,

Gregor

jwil1
11-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Have you looked in Device Manager for any !'s?

Which OS are you using?

nofam
11-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Sounds very much like the issue I'm having with my Cnet NIC - created a thread a few weeks back here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=96986&highlight=network), but never got any replies. Will watch with interest!! :thumbs:

FoxyMX
11-02-2009, 07:59 PM
May be a long shot but have you checked your firewall?

Driftwood
11-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Are you conecting to a network or broadband?

WarNox
11-02-2009, 08:03 PM
-No !'s in Device Manager, says the device is working properly.
-Tried disabling all the firewalls but no luck there either...

Yes, its rather strange. I've really got no idea what else it could be :S

jwil1
11-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Is your DHCP server working? I ask since it sounds like you are getting a 169.254.X.X address.

nofam
11-02-2009, 08:07 PM
-No !'s in Device Manager, says the device is working properly.
-Tried disabling all the firewalls but no luck there either...

Yes, its rather strange. I've really got no idea what else it could be :S

Is it running SP3?

gary67
11-02-2009, 08:09 PM
Tried rebooting your router?

WarNox
11-02-2009, 08:12 PM
-Even when it gets the 169... or I ping 127.0.0.1 the number of packets captured is 0
-DHCP works as all other computers are working fine of the same router

To be honest I haven't specifically restarted the router but didn't think it'd make a difference since it doesn't work in a point to point network either.

Driftwood
11-02-2009, 08:18 PM
If you think the NIC may be faulty, can you borrow one from another system to eliminate the possibilty?

wainuitech
11-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Try putting the Card in a different PCI slot, even if it means removing a Modem (if you have one) seen a few times the PCI slot may be faulty or for some reason just not like the card - if at all possible try the card in another PC as well, that way it will either prove the cards got a fault (if it doesn't work) or eliminate the card.

WarNox
11-02-2009, 08:28 PM
I pulled out the modem and used that same PCI slot :) figured I might as well since never use it anymore. Will try another PCI slot though.

Yeah I can try it in another PC but only got one and its running x64 vista, meaning getting a driver for it will be a mission on its own.

jwil1
11-02-2009, 08:37 PM
meaning getting a driver for it will be a mission on its own.

It should install by itself if it did on XP.

Driftwood
11-02-2009, 08:45 PM
I just re-read your 1st post.
What was wrong with the onboard one that caused you to get a new one?

WarNox
11-02-2009, 08:49 PM
On XP it didn't install by itself, used cd that came with the card to get the drivers. Turns out it has vista x64 drivers too so I could try it on my other machine.

But no need, I tried another PCI slot and we're away :S I guess the PCI slot that the modem was in didn't fully work, or isn't a 2.2 PCI slot, who knows, it works now anyway.

The original NIC isn't gigabit :)

Thanks for all the help everyone, now I want to know if it was the PCI slot that is the problem heh or its a lower spec PCI and not a 2.2. hmm

wainuitech
11-02-2009, 09:17 PM
In simple English ( non tech) if you tried with a PCI slot that had an existing device in it, the drivers or the interrupt request (IRQ's) :nerd:( Sorry :p ) may have been trying to run the modem and the LAN card was the wrong piece of hardware - even though the drivers installed they simply may not have been connecting.

Different PCI slot and all works well.

WarNox
11-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Well I thought it could have been the IRQ but had no idea how to change it :) is there any way to fix such a problem? put the modem back, uninstall it and then put the nic back on?

---

Anyway, now I got gigabit ethernet between two pc's :D

350mb file:
100MBps - 34secs
1GBps - 6sec, 12sec and at worst 18sec

I'm happy with my total spending of $70.

wainuitech
11-02-2009, 09:26 PM
You could try uninstalling the modem drivers, this really should have been done before putting in the Ethernet card in the same slot.

BUT if its working as is - dont fix what aint broke. ;)

WarNox
11-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Well yes this is true, isn't hindsight a beautiful thing :D

Now it'll bug me and I'll want to fiddle with it heh but yea I'll probably just end up breaking something so I'll leave it.

Can you even uninstall drivers without the modem being in the computer? It doesn't show up in the device manager anymore.

wainuitech
11-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Try looking in Add/remove programs for the modem Drivers.