PDA

View Full Version : HDD Installation Help

MongooseRoadkill
11-02-2009, 07:11 PM
I have recently bought a 500GB SeaGate Barracuda, and I managed to install it but I took my other HDD out. There is space for two HDD's but the Barracuda didn't come with a Data Cable(?-I think thats what they're called-?)

But I have a Cable the looks exactly the same but it's red (It was part of a IDE/SATA to USB kit) Is the colour of the cable make it any different performance wise or feature wise? I ask this because in my PC the HDD Data Cable is blue and the CD/DVD drive Data Cable is orange.

I have partitioned the SG Barracuda and installed Win7 (:D) and I plan to load Windows XP on the other half. But if I have both HDD's installed then will I get a prompt to choose which to boot from and If I boot to the Xp/Win7 HDD (The Barracuda) will I get the option to select which OS to boot with?

Thanks (Sorry for so many questions, but I've never dual booted or install two HDD's)

Speedy Gonzales
11-02-2009, 07:15 PM
You should install the earliest version first (XP), then Windows 7.

Not the other way round

If the hdd is SATA, the cable can be orange or red. If its for SATA it shouldnt make any diff what colour it is

Dont know if things will work if you install Win 7 then XP, but normally it'll gives you a menu to select what you want (XP or other). If you install them in the right order

MongooseRoadkill
11-02-2009, 07:34 PM
You should install the earliest version first (XP), then Windows 7.

Not the other way round

If the hdd is SATA, the cable can be orange or red. If its for SATA it shouldnt make any diff what colour it is

Dont know if things will work if you install Win 7 then XP, but normally it'll gives you a menu to select what you want (XP or other). If you install them in the right order

Thanks Heaps :)