PDA

View Full Version : Wireless issue, Can not go to any website via wireless, can surf with Ethernet normal

babip
11-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Wireless Issue, Can not go to any website even task bar icon for wireless connection
indicates I am connected to access point (router)

Please help

Laptop Specs :
---------------
ASUS Z92T 1.6 Ghz
2024 MB
100 GB
ASUS Wireless 802.11g adapter inbuilt with laptop
Windows XP Sp2

Wireless Modem/Router Specs :
-------------------------------
Linksys Wireless G Modem and Router WAG310g
Buy from Dick Smith last month here

http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4991e233013f0184273fc0a87f3b067d/Product/View/XH1319

# ADSL2+ Modem, Internet-sharing Router, 4-Port Switch and Wireless-G Access Point in one box
# High-speed ADSL2+ Modem gives you a fast, "Always On" connection to the Internet
# Connect your home PCs and other wireless devices to the Gateway and the Internet using the built-in Wireless-G Access Point, or connect directly with the 4-port Ethernet Switch

Issue :
1) I have followed the installation instruction on guide comes with modem, followed till end and manage to get in to router web page at http://192.168.1.1 successfully
2) Over there I set security as WAP2+Personal and enter the pass phrase
3) Then I change the wireless encryption property in to my laptop software
and set on WAP2 and use same pass phrase as in step2, While doing that, I get message that
"Encryption settings are different, you can connect to the access point but no data will be
transferred, would you like to change it now" YES/NO
4) I change to YES to make sure that both router and laptop card uses same encryption settings. Apply the changes and Save. Walla ! I get connected taskbar icon appears
BUT
As soon as I open FF or IE, nothing happens, it waits long long time and end up as
Page not found. If I connect via Ethernet cable, I can surf net as normal
but wireless connection is failing

5) I have Reset my router 5-6 times and repet above stuff to make everything is correct, but
with no success,
Please help

Verified following :
-------------------

- There is no other software in laptop as I have just formated my laptop and
Re-install
- Wireless adapter in my latop installed correctly
- WAN driver installed correct (Uninstalled and reinstalled, restart laptop to confirm)
- Wireless signals are full strength
- My telephone uses 1.8 Ghz
- Linksys router uses 2.4 Ghz
- Norton is disabled during wireless setup process
- Every now and then I can go to http://192.168.1.1 in wireless mode, But not always. Also most of the time it keep asking me for user name and pwd again and again even it is set "Remember my Password"
- Using Ethernet cable i can go to http://192.168.1.1
- Hard boot Router, Soft Boot router without success

Safari
11-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Check you have Wireless Zero Configuration enabled in XP services.

Check your wireless properties Internet Protocol are set to obtain IP and DNS automatically.

babip
11-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Check you have Wireless Zero Configuration enabled in XP services.

Check your wireless properties Internet Protocol are set to obtain IP and DNS automatically.

I am using internal ASUS WAN software for my wireless setting, so Wireless Zero service is not running

Internet protocols are set to obtain IT and DNS automatically, which I successfully get
(I can get connected to router but do not able to go to web, can not ping google or yahoo)

Safari
11-02-2009, 10:56 AM
You don't have to use ASUS WAN software
Try the XP Wireless

Speedy Gonzales
11-02-2009, 10:58 AM
I am using internal ASUS WAN software for my wireless setting, so Wireless Zero service is not running

Internet protocols are set to obtain IT and DNS automatically

Give it an ip and put the ip of the router in as the gateway and preferred DNS server. And one of the ISP DNS server ips as the alternate DNS server ips

babip
11-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Try the XP Wireless

I have tried that few times yesterday and this morning but nothing different
wireless zero configuration xp service is started for that.

I have also notice that If I try for an couple of hours, I can some how to to website for few seconds (show me Connected message in browser and browser started to get the webpage, but stops half the way)
I am sure there is nothing to relate with any browser as this is fresh xp sp2 install

babip
11-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Give it an ip and put the ip of the router in as the gateway and preferred DNS server. And one of the ISP DNS server ips as the alternate DNS server ips

Hi, Could you please explain in detail more on how to do this ? I am not that technical.
thanks in advance

SolMiester
11-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Remove the encryption and try...The fact you got some messages to me suggests you are not authenticating properly with the router.

Check to see if it works ok with WPA2 1st, if good, then try WEP, WPA, WPA2 as some different manufacturers dont play nicely together...I would uninstall the ASUS software and set the windows wireless zero service to automatic and use that instead.

babip
11-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Remove the encryption and try...The fact you got some messages to me suggests you are not authenticating properly with the router.

Check to see if it works ok with WPA2 1st, if good, then try WEP, WPA, WPA2 as some different manufacturers dont play nicely together...I would uninstall the ASUS software and set the windows wireless zero service to automatic and use that instead.

Hi, Thank you all, I have to try tonight when I am back home from work, I will try above stuff and will get back,
Many Thanks to all

babip
12-02-2009, 09:43 AM

Try the XP Wireless

Hi Guys, Good morning again,
I have tried following
- Uninstall ASUS WAN software, let windows detect the driver
- Started the Wireless Zero Configuration service, Auto at startup
- Restart my PC and Network connection detected
- Connected with WAP setting and I can connect to internt, finished up some trademe deals
THEN....
- Shut down PC and started after dinner..........
BANG...... Network detected, connected BUT Can not go to Websites,Ping
Same scenario back as before...
Can not understand what is going wrong ?

Blam
12-02-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm guessing a faulty w/l card.

Have you tried connecting another laptop/desktop wirelessly to the router?

babip
12-02-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm guessing a faulty w/l card.

Have you tried connecting another laptop/desktop wirelessly to the router?

Are you sure that W/L card could be faulty ?
because I am just about to finish my Warranty on laptop

Renmoo
12-02-2009, 02:55 PM
- Connected with WAP setting and I can connect to internt, finished up some trademe deals.
- Shut down PC and started after dinner..........
BANG...... Network detected, connected BUT Can not go to Websites,Ping
Pause - try turning off encryption settings and see if the Internet starts working again?

I am using an Asus Z92T laptop too. Last year the motherboard of the laptop fried due to overheating and the keyboard malfunctioned as well. On both occasions I managed to get the components replaced without being requested to show the warranty card.

At this stage, I won't place my bet that the wireless LAN card is faulty.

Can you ping 74.125.19.104?

Cheers :)

Rod J
13-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Definitely sounds like a hardware fault to me. If still under warranty take it back pronto. :2cents:

linw
13-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Always do basic troubleshooting with wireless security turned off at the router. This eliminates one potential problem area. Turning off software firewalls is also a good idea for testing.

FWIW, your errors sound like what my son was getting when he had a wrong WPA password. Solmiester indicated this in an earlier reply.

babip
13-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Always do basic troubleshooting with wireless security turned off at the router. This eliminates one potential problem area. Turning off software firewalls is also a good idea for testing.

FWIW, your errors sound like what my son was getting when he had a wrong WPA password. Solmiester indicated this in an earlier reply.

Definitely sounds like a hardware fault to me. If still under warranty take it back pronto. :2cents:

Pause - try turning off encryption settings and see if the Internet starts working again?

I am using an Asus Z92T laptop too. Last year the motherboard of the laptop fried due to overheating and the keyboard malfunctioned as well. On both occasions I managed to get the components replaced without being requested to show the warranty card.

Hello Jamuz, :thanks
I am agreed with you, I got same problem few weeks back and they change my main board for free, they did ask me for warranty card because their system shown that my laptop Sr. no has expired warranty which as not according to my card, so I got new main board replaced for free.
Turning off security does get me to internet unsecured. which I don't want and when I use WPA it says I am successfully connected to router with full strength, but websites are not opening and neither I can ping anything

Hi linw, :thanks
I have try turning off wireless security by loging in to http://192.168.1.1 (non-secured connection) and it worked for me, have also un-installed norton and using default windows firewall

Hi Rod, :thanks
According to others it is not the recommended solution here but I did call ASUS call center in NZ (0800 278 778) and they will pick up my laptop this afternoon (by courrier),

So hopefully I get some news mid of next week, till then I am out of net,
(unless I fire up by 9 years old Intel 667Mhz with 64 mb ram (16 mb shared) and hope that connects me to net)

See you all next week guys, have a nice weekened (hope humidity and cloudy weather keeps us motivated to work in next week)

Cheers !

pctek
13-02-2009, 01:30 PM
I got same problem few weeks back and they change my main board for free, they did ask me for warranty card

Of course not - it has a serial number and they just look it up.

Also I suspect its the wifi card. Theres a PCI one by ASUS too I had issues with under Vista.
Google it and you'll see lots of the same kind of problem.

babip
13-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Of course not - it has a serial number and they just look it up.

Also I suspect its the wifi card. Theres a PCI one by ASUS too I had issues with under Vista.
Google it and you'll see lots of the same kind of problem.

They did look in to their system and they said that my warranty expired in January 2009 but I have purchased mine in April 2007 so my warranty will expire in April 2009. Warranty are 24 months from Purchase date not from the ASUS distribution date to Vendors (eg: Harvey Norman )

I am also agree that wifi is suspected and that is reason I send it to Tech people.

babip
13-02-2009, 01:42 PM

Hi Jamuz,
Another question to you, currently got 2 GB RAM on my Z92T, Can I get more ? (by using dual channel 2 gb stik in 1 slot ?)

Blam
13-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Yes, you can, but its probably in a 1gb in slot 1 and 1gb in slot 2 configuration, which will mean if you get a 2gb stick you'll need to take on out and replace it, meaning 3gb of RAM.

Which is perfect, since windows won't see all 4gb anyways.

Get CPUZ to check the speed of your RAM.

And buy RAM of that clock speed...most probably DDR2 667

babip
13-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Yes, you can, but its probably in a 1gb in slot 1 and 1gb in slot 2 configuration, which will mean if you get a 2gb stick you'll need to take on out and replace it, meaning 3gb of RAM.

Which is perfect, since windows won't see all 4gb anyways.

Get CPUZ to check the speed of your RAM.

And buy RAM of that clock speed...most probably DDR2 667

Cheers Blam6,
I will do it in this weekend if my laptop is not picked up by Courier to go to ASUS centre in Auckland.
I hope you are talking about this one from cpuid/cpuz ! correct ?
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Blam
13-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Yep, thats the one

babip
02-03-2009, 11:37 AM
***Resolved***
Hi Guys,

At the end its a good news, Its freaking IP settings which required exclusively for Linksys routers from Woosh.
I manage to get gold of a CSR from Woosh and she drive me through 5 simple steps and WOFFF... I got on INTERNET without problem
Cheers all of you once again .. I am posing a new question soon for a Virtual machine ...

Thanks
:clap

Blam
02-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Cool, no probs:D

Whats that q about VMs?

babip
02-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Cool, no probs:D

Whats that q about VMs?

Question is posted here (http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=97850)

http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=97850

How do I make my F1 Question mark as as "Resolved" ?

Blam
02-03-2009, 01:41 PM
AFAIK-You can't:(