PDA

View Full Version : HideExec.EX

B.M.
11-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Out of the blue AVG reports an unwanted file by the name of HideExec.EX.

I move it to the Virus Vault but after a while back it pops.

Iíve googled it but canít find anything with the exact name, let alone a threat.

Anyone any ideas?

May have only appeared after the latest AVG update?

Speedy Gonzales
11-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Looks like UBCD uses it (hideexec.exe, with the e at the end)

As stated here (http://www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm)

Tools in UBCD4Win which are known to be identified as riskware/security risks by certain AntiVirus Vendors:

plugin\Environment\files\HideExec.exe

plugin\keyfinderpe\keyfinder.exe

Eraser

IPScan

Is hideexec.exe a virus then?

The Answer to this is NO, hideExec cannot do anything malicious to your PC it won't delete files, send spam emails, give access to others to use etc,.

Info on HideExec.exe and what it is from hilander999

"Most anti virus software shows nothing, but this file can be used to run any type of program completely hidden, so it shows up as a "security Threat" or "Hack Tool". This is because this program can be used to run programs without your knowledge.

This is the program that is currently being used to run all the startup scripts hidden, so you don't see all the command windows opening up, because it looks sloppy.

There are several programs that work somewhat like this one does, but HideExec.exe seems to be superior with the way it can start services & run anything in the background & keep it from being seen."

AntiVirus Programs which are known to detect this file (NB certain advanced settings may need to be enabled for it to be detected):

AntiVir - SPR/HideExec.B

Avira - SPR/HideExec.B

CAT-QuickHeal - (Suspicious) - DNAScan

Kaspersky - not-a-virus:RiskTool.Win32.HideExec.b

McAfee - potentially unwanted program Generic PUP

Norton - Hacktool.HideWindow

B.M.
11-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks Speedy, :thumbs:

UBCD4Win will be the problem. I recall it came up not after downloading it.

Next question, by sending it off to the Virus Vault have I wrecked UBCD4Win?

:confused:

Speedy Gonzales
11-02-2009, 10:50 AM
I have no idea. Soon find out. If you can put it back, restore it back to whatever folder