PDA

View Full Version : Dividing files between hd's, easy question!

Mcpisik
11-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Hi good peoples!
I have a new rig (not signature one) that has 4x 500GB hard drives.
I have no real need for a raid setup at present.

With all the extra space, am wondering best place to store files between hd's?

If I throw all my photos on one, all my music on another, is that a good way to store the non program type stuff? Does that help speed of anything etc...

Suggestions appreciated!
:)

pctek
11-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Doesn't matter. Whatever you like.

One thing I do, is have a separate smaller partition for the O/S. And only the O/S. MyDocuments gets moved to another partition and nothing is installed there.

Then once the PC is setup to my satisfaction I ghost it.

Saves hours of messing around when you need or want to start fresh.

Gobe1
11-02-2009, 10:46 AM
+1 pctek
I always ghost xp & vista before i install any new programs so there is a fresh install to fall back on when something goes wrong the restore wont fix
Then i ghost the complete system again once all programs are installed once i hand it to the new user (i have plenty of HDD space for this on my NAS)

Would be nice to use one of the hdd as a removable backup incase of disaster??

FoxyMX
11-02-2009, 02:16 PM
With four hard drives I would suggest that you reserve at least one as a backup drive and backup all your photos and other important files to it.

This would be in addition to backing them up to DVDs to store elsewhere, preferably offsite, of course.

wainuitech
11-02-2009, 02:44 PM
This would be in addition to backing them up to DVDs to store elsewhere, preferably offsite, of course.
:thumbs: Excellent advice there - Just had rebuilt a PC after xmas, they had a second drive installed in the PC to use as backup - which worked fine until they had a massive power surge - blew the PSU and for a split second put 240 volts through the PC- The board and both drives fried - original data and backups gone.

Speedy Gonzales
11-02-2009, 02:51 PM
With four hard drives I would suggest that you reserve at least one as a backup drive and backup all your photos and other important files to it.

I did this (on one of the partitions of the hdd I had), bad idea, the hdd died completely yesterday, (only brought it in Sept 08) when I went to turn the PC on.

Most of my updates and quite a few files were on one of the partitions.

The BIOS couldnt detect this hdd yesterday morning. I tried it in SATA 1 mode on another PC, it didnt detect it in the BIOS either.

It wasnt one of the hdds affected by this firmware prob (It was a seagate tho). I thought something was wrong, because it said Express Gate was installed incorrectly, or something (It was installed). So, I took it back yesterday for a replacement. I have to use the old PC for now, until Seagate (or whoever check it)

FoxyMX
11-02-2009, 05:23 PM
I did this (on one of the partitions of the hdd I had), bad idea, the hdd died completely yesterday, (only brought it in Sept 08) when I went to turn the PC on.

Most of my updates and quite a few files were on one of the partitions.

I did say "backups" therefore if one drive died then there should still be a copy of the files on another drive.

Unless a power surge fries the whole lot as in wainuitech's example. That's when the backups on DVD come in handy.

I lost a drive myself last year. Didn't have a backup of everything due to the number and size of files but all the important stuff was on DVDs. It still hurt though. :(

Speedy Gonzales
11-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Yer true, oh well, I've still got a a cd with a version of XP (Used Nlite) with all the updates on it.

So, guess thats not too bad.

As soon as I reinstall XP it'll be up to date

Mcpisik
11-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys.
Totally agree on the back up to dvd for photos etc.

What program do I use for ghosting?
I've never done any backups except to dvd...

By having less junk (photos etc) in a drive, does it increase speed of access for programs?
If not, I won't be too fussy in my storage strategy...

Cheers again

FoxyMX
11-02-2009, 08:07 PM
What program do I use for ghosting?
I've never done any backups except to dvd...

By having less junk (photos etc) in a drive, does it increase speed of access for programs?
If not, I won't be too fussy in my storage strategy...

Not sure what backup program is the current flavour of the month but I just use batch files to copy my data from one drive to the next. Pretty sure there have been some recent threads on backup programs if you want to do a search.

Keeping your data on a separate drive to your programs and setting your hard drives to be idle after X number of minutes should ensure that speed of access to programs is at optimum.

R.M.
12-02-2009, 07:40 AM
I agree - small drive with OS, imaged with Acronis True Home, working HDD with photos only, backup drive with copy of photos, drive with 'other stuff', 'good photos' on DVD, two copies of imaged D Drive (belt and braces principle here!)...

The best thing is the image of the OS - a quick solution to disasters (and I've used it about four times in about nine months).

Paul.Cov
12-02-2009, 02:58 PM
I'd double-check about the Seagate issue, coz what you've described fits exactly with the Seagate scenario.

I fully endorse the concept of using one drive as a DISCONNECTED backup. By all means leave it mounted in the case, but disconnect both the power and data cables from it so that it is isolated from all power glitches, and is not going through any unneccessary power-up cycles.

I have drives coming out my ears, but they're mostly stored in removable enclosures, and completely removed from the machine when not needed.

Still waiting for a cheaper enclosure for the SATA models though.