PDA

View Full Version : Printing/Networking issue! Help needed urgently!!

JA88
11-02-2009, 05:27 AM
1. Recently my notebook's been printing out documents in their encrypted form. The document looks normal when typing and there's no password set to protect the document. However, when it is printed out it is in gibberish. Any idea guys?
2. My wireless connection for my desktop on the 3rd level has been terrible. It either has very low connectivity or can't even detect the network at all - which is on the 2nd level. I've already bought a usb extension for my "zyXel wireless adaptor" and extended it out of the to get a better signal. Now it just takes a damn long time to acquire the ip address and doesn't even conenct. I've tried using windows zero config also but to no avail.

Advice need urgently! thanks...

JA88
11-02-2009, 05:34 AM
Regarding the 1st prob, i recently installed a program to type chinese. So i'm guessing it has a part to play in this. But i already uninstalled it and i still can't print properly.

MushHead
11-02-2009, 08:20 AM
You may have quietly installed some system-level stuff to make the Chinese program work that didn't get removed automatically with its uninstall.

However, you may just have to juggle a printer setting to get things working. In the Printing Preferences, try things like "download fonts as bitmap" or "disable device fonts" in the Imaging settings. I've had problems with this on various (Kyocera?) printers in the past.

With the wireless, are you getting a valid IP after acquiring (eg 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x), or do you get the internal auto-config address (169.254.x.x)? It may just be that your signal is too flaky to get a reliable connection.

Paul.Cov
11-02-2009, 08:56 PM
The garbled output to the printer is probably either a printer driver issue, or if you are connecting to a printer across the network, it probably relates to your lousy signal strength / reception issues.

Try to download and re-install your printer drivers

and / or

Try to improve your wireless signal.
Some wireless gear lets you manually configure the signal strength - maybe that's been messed with on either of the computers involved.

Alternatively, maybe the wireless aerial has become partially unthreaded - see if you can screw it in any tighter.

Moving the computers closer together for a while may be another way to test if your issues are all signal related.

JA88
12-02-2009, 07:42 PM
You may have quietly installed some system-level stuff to make the Chinese program work that didn't get removed automatically with its uninstall.
Ya i think so too because the uninstallation didn't fully complete. So how do i go about doing it?

However, you may just have to juggle a printer setting to get things working. In the Printing Preferences, try things like "download fonts as bitmap" or "disable device fonts" in the Imaging settings. I've had problems with this on various (Kyocera?) printers in the past.
My printer's a Canon iP1300 and i can't find "imaging" settings under printing preferences.

With the wireless, are you getting a valid IP after acquiring (eg 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x), or do you get the internal auto-config address (169.254.x.x)? It may just be that your signal is too flaky to get a reliable connection.
I'm getting the former. I think the signal is too flaky also but it seems weird because i extended the wireless adaptor out of the room nearer to the modem. In the room it still could connect.

JA88
12-02-2009, 07:47 PM
The garbled output to the printer is probably either a printer driver issue, or if you are connecting to a printer across the network, it probably relates to your lousy signal strength / reception issues.

Try to download and re-install your printer drivers

and / or

Try to improve your wireless signal.
Some wireless gear lets you manually configure the signal strength - maybe that's been messed with on either of the computers involved.

Alternatively, maybe the wireless aerial has become partially unthreaded - see if you can screw it in any tighter.

Moving the computers closer together for a while may be another way to test if your issues are all signal related.

My printer's connected directly to my notebook which is what i use to print. And i'll take yr advice yea thanks.