PDA

View Full Version : Trying to read an extraneous HDD

Bryan
10-02-2009, 05:10 PM
My daughter's HP Pavillion has karked it!

I have an older PC and have installed XP on it. I then found out that daughter's HDD, with XP, was NTFS, mine was FAT 32. I converted mine to NTFS and connected her HDD as a slave to my PC. All I get is "DISK READ ERROR".

I do see that the message has been a big problem worldwide with XP but I cannot find a solution. I have checked the cables etc and all is fine. When I disconnect her HDD and just leave my XP, the system boots fine.

What I want to do is to access her HDD and recover some of her data (didn't believe in backing up!).

Problem with her HDD is that coming out of the HP Pavillion the HHD had everything installed as OEM.

Anyone got any ideas? Should I get a bootable Linux and do it that way?

Speedy Gonzales
10-02-2009, 06:00 PM
When you connected hers as a slave, did you boot from yours then scan her hdd for errors?

Not boot from hers?

It may come up with the screen that scans / checks / fixes the errors

I wouldnt boot from hers as it may crash, if it does boot into windows, because of the difference in hardware

pctek
10-02-2009, 07:15 PM
I then found out that daughter's HDD, with XP, was NTFS, mine was FAT 32. I converted mine to NTFS and connected her HDD as a slave to my PC. All I get is "DISK READ ERROR".

You didn't need to do that.
XP Fat32 will read NTFS drives.

Its probably giving the error cause her drive is stuffed.

gary67
10-02-2009, 07:21 PM
If XP can't see it then yes try a bootable linux CD sometimes it can see what windows cannot

Bryan
10-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi Speedy.

I booted from mine but that was when I got the "Disk read error". No chance of scaning hers and mine did not boot.

Thanks pctek. I did have a tech look at her system. He claims that although the motherboard and the CPU had been compromised, the HDD had not been affected, but then again I do not know how thorough he was.