PDA

View Full Version : Stop the Modem!

LynX
10-02-2009, 05:09 PM
I use Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, and I am having trouble coping with my modem. Not only it can't get on the internet, the modem always try to dial by itself before the login screen appears. Since I'm using dial up, I don't want to engage the line every time I boot up Ubuntu, so the first thing I have to do after entering the system is to disable the modem (sometimes I'll do it in the terminal right away). Could anyone help me so the modem won't dial every time I enter the system? Thanks.

pctek
10-02-2009, 07:19 PM
It can't get on the net?? What happens exactly?
And I dunno about Linux but in Windows I'd take its dialler settings off Dial Automatically, and onto never dial - so that you need to click its icon to dial up.
I guess it works the same in Linux?

Catweazle
10-02-2009, 08:17 PM
1/ Take out that winmodem.
2a/ Problem solved unless you are booting 2 OS e.g. win/ubuntu. if you are...
2b/ Get a serial modem. Then you can have the net on both.

LynX
12-02-2009, 04:03 PM
OK... so everyone's suggesting that my modem is the problem. But how much is a serial modem? I mean, I know somehow that external modems have hardware in them, but a Winmodem may only cost $5 while external one costs all the way up to $50...

Sometime ago the modem didn't engage upon start up, but I guess that's because the drivers were working weirdly. There must be a way to do that... but Ubuntu can be very complicated, especially for a noob...

LynX
12-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Correction! The $5 item on PriceSpy was only a bracket for a modem... how did that got into there? But on the other hand, how do you separate winmodems from serial modems? Unless some items says "Software Modem", I wouldn't have a clue on whether they'd work with Ubuntu or not.

Also, I'm not that expectant on seeing my modem to work under Ubuntu. It's only how Ubuntu connects me to a network as soon as I logged in. That's really irritating.