PDA

View Full Version : Bought the Parts, Built the box but something not working!!

Gedc
10-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Guys..Thanks to those who helped me spec the PC. Built it today and having some issues that googling isn't fixing for me...

ASUS P5Q Pro board
2 x Sata HDD's
1 x Sata DVD/CD

Vista installed okay via DVD drive.
Couldn't find 2nd HDD during install or indeed under Vista explorer and I also managed to hang the machine as I tried to install the drivers disc that came with the motherboard. SO.....

Disconnected second HDD. Now have 1 x HDD and 1 x DVD connected to motherboard.

Installed Vista again. No issues. PC boots up and shuts down fine. Seems to be working fine in basic mode just now. Havent installed any other drivers yet.

The problem is the BIOS is not recognising my HDD. I have 6 Sata connections on the board, 4 Red, 1 white and 1 orange. The white and orange can ONLY have an HDD connected ( fine! ) and the DVD drive is connected into one of the red ports. All connections checked out etc.

Under my Bios screen its listing the only SATA1 as my ASUS DVD/CD. It says [NOT DETECTED] agains all other sata ( 2-6) ports. The ONLY time i get to see the HDD name is when i get through to changing the boot sequence and it appears with IDE beside its name.

Can someone give me a clue as to where to start..Please feel free to ask questions...I've been at this for about 5 hours now !!!

Cheers

Ged

CYaBro
10-02-2009, 04:44 PM
What HDDs have you got?
Are they 3Gb/s compatible?

I would connect all drives to the 4 red SATA ports as I think the orange & white SATA ports are 3Gb/s only.
Also check that you haven't accidently enabled RAID on the SATA ports in the BIOS.

nedkelly
10-02-2009, 04:44 PM
which sata port did you plug your hdd into?
I have always been told to plug the system hdd into sata 0

nedkelly
10-02-2009, 04:53 PM
just looking at the manual and the orange and white are for raid

pctek
10-02-2009, 07:22 PM
ASUS P5Q Pro board
2 x Sata HDD's
1 x Sata DVD/CD

The problem is the BIOS is not recognising my HDD. I have 6 Sata connections on the board, 4 Red, 1 white and 1 orange.

Plug them all into Red ports.
One drive will be detected and installed onto by the Vista install.
The other you can partition and format via Disk Management once WIndows is loaded and finished.

Gedc
10-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Yep..Thanks guys...Read the manual a few times and missed they were for Raid. Computerlounge and several of its forum members also pointed out the sata connections should be in the 'other' slots. Stay posted..No doubt I'll be needing more help later :)

:thanks
Thanks again